Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-28-07, 11:29 PM
Keven

I have had a Control Vision with nexrad wx for about 6 years now. Most of my trips are between 2-4 hours duration. The long range ability to see wx in front of me has saved my bacon on a nunmber of occasions that my preflight flightservice, strikefinder, nor enroute flight service were able to provide. As a matter of fact, the reason I finally got this system was because pre-flight and enroute flight service drove me into a "hole" that ended up being an embedded CB. It wasn't pretty, and I swore that if I came out of the other side of it, I'd get something to help me with wx in the future.

Control Vision is not the end all and be all, but it is a good system. I've flown a few different C400 series airplanes recently with the 496, and it's a pretty sweet set up. It's not a replacement for radar, but, damn, my intention is to not get that close to CBs to begin with. For the price, I'll probably end up getting a 496 or whatever the next generation is that has approach plates on it. My control vision has plates on it, and it's pretty handy as a backup to see your plane superimposed over the actual plate as you shoot an approach.

FWIW

Keven
________
Pregnant Movie

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:25 PM.
Unread 11-29-07, 11:16 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Did you get the large screen? I gave up plates on the PDA... Too much scrolling needed. Can't see the entire plate at one time.
Unread 11-30-07, 05:05 PM
Keven

No, I stayed with the PDA. It can be a hassle zooming in and out, but I normally have all of my numbers written down before shooting the approach, so I use it more for situational awareness of my position on the approach (the superimposed plane as it flies over the approach plate). I am aware that the approach plate is not to scale, however, it is a nice back up if one radio says I'm about to blow through the localizer, and another says I'm on course. I know no one else on this board has ever dialed in a wrong freq and forgot to verify, but one time, a long time ago, I read about a guy who did that, so I like redundant views of my approach in the clag.

Keven
________
Top Starcraft Replays

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:26 PM.