Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-01-20, 03:38 PM

HGeorgeC is on a distinguished road
New Guy...

Hi All,
...and Thank You Herb Harney!
I’m George Henning, a newly retired United Pilot up here near CLE Ohio.
Hopefully a new-to-me Skymaster is in my near future, been looking for awhile now.
Up to now I’ve been a Boeing and Piper guy, so I have many questions as I look for the “Perfect 337”!
Herb has been very helpful as have discussions with Sky Smith and a lot of time spend on the phone, text and email with 337 guys like Bill Crews and Ron Lillie.
As a Visitor, this Forum has been Outstanding and I’ve learned so much from everyone here!
So, quick “out in left field” question to start...
Air Conditioning, I think I gotta have it.
What have ya’ll seen work??
An STC Factory installed unit like in the Riley Conversion, the Artic Air $4500 Electric unit or the Sportys Pilot Shop $600 ice chest unit??
Thank You All in advance and I look forward to learning!
Stay Safe
Fly Fun
George
Unread 07-01-20, 06:09 PM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
Hi George,

Current UAL 756 CA here. My Dad (37 year UA pilot) retired and he and I have a 337 that we bought almost 2 years ago. We love it.

We looked at one with AC, but it wasn't the right overall aircraft. We live in Houston and really wish we had it now. We've got the Ice Chest Cooler and it works, but marginally. If it blows directly on you it's fine and really helps on hot days during taxi and climbing out. It will not however, cool off the whole cabin on a hot day. I tried to run it for 30 mins in the hangar before our flight and it really didn't drop the temp enough to notice much. We do use it often because it helps with the heat down here, especially on the ground. Wish we had the STC unit, but we're not in a position to afford to add one.

Good luck,

Tripp
Unread 07-01-20, 06:41 PM

Thanks Tripp!
Hey Congrates to your Dad on his retirement and Thank You for carrying on, I know it gotta be tough out there on the Line...
Glad you guys enjoy your 337 and I know IAH summers, so thank you for the intel on the Ice Chest Cooler!
I’m looking at a P and am wondering how well the AC runs on that airplane??
We all get spoiled flying turbine airplanes with APU’s and warm or cool flight decks to greet us, at the same time it’s equally uncomfortable giving “first time flyers” an airplane ride in a hot Cessna or Piper cabin.
I’m hoping to hear that a P or a NA Skymaster with AC cools down OK with an engine or two running, if not I’ll be joining you at the FBO’s Ice Machine!
Thanks again!
Stay Safe!
George
Unread 07-01-20, 06:53 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P337g

Hello George, This is Jerry De Santis, Battle Creek, Mi. I own N34EC. Own it now about 22 years. Fully equipped. Air Cond., Turbo charged, spoilers, Rielly inter coolers. Cleveland not to far. I may be ending my flying career as I will be 80 years old this year. If you can make your way here I be happy to let you fly it and see if it is something you will be interested in. 269-275-6613. BTW, the first photo you see on this website is two aircraft flying together. Herb's plane is on the left and my plane on the right.
Unread 07-02-20, 12:03 AM

Mr. Jerry,
Thank You for your time on the phone today!
Great getting to visit with you, talk about the airplane and folks we mutually know!
Thanks again Sir, I’ll be in touch!
George
Unread 07-03-20, 02:39 PM

Jerry might not even be home yet...
But I want to thank him for his kindness and hospitality today!
Jerry DeSantis and I got to spend the better part of the Duty Day together here in Northeast Ohio.
Jerry flew down from KBTL in his good lookin’ 75 P337 to give me my 2nd hour of “dual” in a Skymaster!
We met in the FBO Lobby at KLPR, my newfound home, and Jerry briefed me on his model of 337.
We talked about W&B, Fuel Loading, the Basic Airplane Numbers and his particular STC Modifications.
On the Preflight he showed me all the important points of interest.
Once underway Jerry’s 3000 hours+ in the Skymaster showed!
I enjoyed flying with him and learned a lot!
He is a very safe, knowledgeable pilot and a wealth of information!
After Jerry’s smooth landing I didn’t realize we were on the ground until we were half way to the Ramp!
Thanks Jerry! I learned so much about your Skymaster in particular and the airplane in general!
It was Fun!
Stay Safe!
George
CLE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: