Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-08-20, 10:29 PM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
How‘s GA where you are?

Im in Philadelphia. At my home airport (kpne) i am rarely seeing anyone fly. Whats going on at your field?
Unread 05-09-20, 10:58 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Pretty quiet here in Sparta, MI 8D4. Just this week it's started to pick up. Weather has been some of the problem. It's been unusually windy and cold. Commercial flying for me has been really slow. Difficult for folks to go anywhere with all the different restrictions. Some uneasiness with families concerned about the unknown. The flights I have taken (maybe once a week) have been really pretty routine other than it's amazing how quiet it is in the airspace. The airliners are flying in some of the same flight levels as I do because they are empty planes and can fly higher.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-09-20, 11:17 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile How‘s GA where you are?

I'm in Franklin, Pa.(KFKL). I use to fly into KPNE a lot with the CAP. Nice airport of course bigger than my local county airport. Things here are terribly slow. Between the COVID19 and losing our air service to Pittsburgh I see MAYBE one plane a day flying from our airport! Our county administration even went as far as to stop refueling airplanes except for the State Trooper's helicopter and MEDEVAC. I had a visit from our airport manager in March telling me he didn't have the authority, but suggested to leave my hangar where I was doing some maintenance to my '65 C337. I did as suggested. As you know, our governor Tom Wolf, moved my county and most of the north east, north central counties to category YELLOW, so we can do more stuff away from home! I don't know if you ever visited KFKL we have an excellent Italian restaurant "on field" so we will probably have dinner there VERY soon. With low temperatures, high winds, and snow I'm waiting for better weather to go fly.
Regards, BILLS
Unread 05-09-20, 02:58 PM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
In Texas at KCXO, we've had a fair amount of flying all along. The weather has been particularly good the past month and the GA folks are taking advantage of it and the time off to be able to fly. The flight school is barely operating, so that has reduced the amount of traffic.
We're doing the annual, so we haven't flown in a few weeks, but that changes this week.
Unread 05-13-20, 05:05 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I'm in the far west suburbs of Chicago based at KARR (Aurora Airport) in Sugar Grove, IL and things here seem a little slower I suppose but not terribly so. The main flight school has been flying regularly though I'm not sure if it is dual instruction or just a lot of solo stuff but their planes are flying all the time. I live less than 2 miles from the airport so I see them flying over my house quite frequently.

They have reduced hours of the FAA control tower at my home airport and they have reduced our staffing at the Chicago Center ARTCC where I work although I was just informed today that our hours will be increased from the 30% of normal I have been doing to 60% of normal starting next week and one of the reasons sited in addition to slightly increased airline traffic at KORD has been the "noticeable" increase in VFR traffic requesting advisories. So I would say that is very encouraging.

The maintenance shop who does all the work on my C337 has been EXTREMELY busy and they are working efficiently now on my airplane completing the engine installation and annual inspection. I hope to be in the air for the first time in 7 months next week or maybe the week after at the latest.

Poplar Grove who performed my engine overhaul was also EXTREMELY busy so I'd say that is a good sign.

So I'd asy things here our closer to "normal" than not however that is simply my observation. No scientific numbers whatsoever.

I do feel though we are headed in the correct direction!

Keep flying, no reason not to!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: