Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-06-20, 08:04 AM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
Looking for MEI. Im at KPNE (phila) with 337B

Would like to start training in the next month if someone is available.
Unread 02-06-20, 09:50 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, I would go get your MEL in a regular twin at a school like ATP or something. take a week at a time and punch it out. Then find out what the insurance needs to fly your Skymaster. Most of the time it might only require a mentor time to get enough hours to be on your own as PIC. Then you have a full Multi Engine certificate that gives you lots of options down the road.

https://www.skywarriorinc.com/multi-engine

https://www.faaflightschools.com/pennsylvania/

Lots of guys say they will never fly anything but a Skymaster so it's a waste of money and time. Well with the lack of Skymaster CFI's and DPE's I have to say that it's really the most logical choice. Also if you go somewhere away from home base and can just focus on training and not day to day interruptions it will be a much more useful situation.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-08-20, 07:30 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Yep, what Herb said.
Unread 02-11-20, 12:35 PM

TomeHill79 is on a distinguished road
Clt

Julian,
If you have a week you can take off work I would recommend taking your plane and possibly leaving it in either of these two places:

Tiffin, OH (16G). Brad Newman, the owner of Tiffin Aire is a DPE and has checked out many Skymaster pilots locally for their CLT rating. He charges $600 for the rating.

Just a few miles south is:

Fremont, OH (14G). Rex Damschroder, the owner of Rex Air has a few Skymasters and will train locally in them. He may even rent you one of his for training if you don't want to keep yours in Ohio.

The prices are pretty cheap in OH compared to the Philly area.

I know its not PA but hopefully it can help.

Andrew
Unread 02-13-20, 10:04 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile Looking for MEI. Im at KPNE (phila) with 337B

JHogan. Welcome to Skymaster ownership. I have a 1965 337 and had the conversation regarding conventional twin vs. CLT. I don't know if you have complex and or retract time but as I told the SOAPA group... I will only fly Skymasters because I'm scared to death about a dead engine in a conventional twin! So when I purchased my Skymaster I wasn't rated in it or a conventional twin! Here's my insight. ALL my retract and twin time is ONLY in a Skymaster, currently 120 hours total, it took much more training time than was required by my insurance underwriter, 20 hours dual, of that time at least 10 hours instrument training. Even though I'm NOT instrument rated. So I think since you own a C337 you might as well train in it, get confident/comfortable in it, and LEARN THE FUEL SYSTEM!! BUY a owner manual, the ACS, Illustrated flight maneuver book, and the FAA oral book-and STUDY!!. FYI, I pay $1300 for liability, and after getting my rating I pay $1200 ($30,000) Hull insurance. The ONLY reason I can think of for doing the conventional twin first is IF you plan on flying one later.
My opinion!
Regards, BILLS

Last edited by cessnadriver : 02-13-20 at 10:10 PM.
Unread 02-14-20, 09:18 AM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
Bills, thanks for the info. Yeah i currently have 0 time in complex. My ins company wants 20 hrs dual and 50 t/o landing (full stop) but no instrument time required. My ins is $6k a year but i told them hull value $70k. Who is your carrier? Id be interested in getting a quote from them. In order to meet my current ins requirements i think i will be training in Ohio (thanks Andrew Hill) for a week or so as soon in my 337B as soon as i get my plane back from my annual. Julian

Last edited by Jhogan0101 : 02-14-20 at 09:29 AM.
Unread 02-14-20, 10:19 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Looking for MEI. Im at KPNE (phila) with 337B

JHOGAN:This is the insurance agent I have. They are located in WV. Just FYI, the underwriter WILL NOT cover you for liability UNTIL you're rated. They will insure you while flying with your CFI as long as he/she has the required Skymaster time, and other requirements. TOTAL TIME: 1500, INSTRUMENT RATED, AND at least 25 hours in the Skymaster. I'm pretty sure that was the requirements, but call, e-mail the Hoxton Agency to be sure. Will you have a Skymaster rated pilot to fly your bird to Ohio? I maybe able to help, I live in Western Pa. Let me know if I can help.
Good luck. Regards, BILLS bstory@pa.rr.com/814-673-6863c

Susan Zillinger

The Hoxton Agency, Inc.

304-876-3585 Ext. 303 Phone

susan@hoxton.com

www.hoxton.com
Unread 02-14-20, 06:17 PM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
So here is the thing...I have a MEL rating, got in a conventional twin. I am now getting my IR. In order to do that you must fly a single engine approach in a plane with a publish Vmc. Read, not a Skymaster...so. I can do all my IR training in the Skymaster but I must do my checkride in both a Skymaster, and a conventional light twin, or all in the conventional twin. Will not give me the MEL IR rating otherwise, seems silly but true, this is just an Fyi.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: