Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-25-02, 09:53 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Question What ever happened to the water cooled TISO 360...

does anyone know what happend to the skymaster that cont engine was runing around with the water cooled TISO 360 in the back... it was reported to be able to put out 350 hp... for 5 min... boosted to 46 inches MP.. then reduced to a cont 250 hp all day long...

Haven't heard much from cont engine about it lately.. but, they did have one installed and were running it around the last I heard...

they took the top scoop off the skymaster... didn't need it and replace the cowl flaps with two inlets.. with the raiators right behind them... no temp control required as it had a water thermostat like your cars in it... and for sitting on the ground... a couple of electric fans... sucking air thru them... that were thermostaticly controlled electronically...

even the oil cooler was replaced with a water/heat exchanger... so that the engine was much simpler and smaller ... i.e. no baffeling on cyc baffels... or around the engine... the plane looked sharp and I understand it cut down on the drag at high speeds as well... but, most of all

it was able to be leaned way out... with no effects to the valves... and because the water cooling was more effecent... they could either run higher compression or... lower grade fuel... hmmmmm... and you were able to get your engine converted over... because the cases were supposed to be the same.. but, the cyc and heads were different... wonder what happend to it... as cont engine is not saying anything... matter of fact they haven't said much about the changing of the turbo waist gate controller line to a screen or its position... either... and we have call several times... now... maybe someday... huh... ya I know larry... when the moon turns... and people in hell want snowballs... too... smile.. GMAs...
Unread 08-25-02, 10:47 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Water

I saw a company that made water cooled cylinders for Lycoming 360's, but never heard much about them. Water cooled IO360 for our plane would be very cool, dumping the cowl flap motors. Didn't they make something like that for the Voyager? I'll bet you could run LOP kind of like Walter does in his round engine beech.