Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-20, 03:12 AM

paul.j is on a distinguished road
Anyone thinking about going with a experimental engines?

i know it has been years since this subject has been brought up. Aeromomentum has a 260hp 300lb engine that also runs on unleaded. http://www.aeromomentum.com/am20t.html and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InfiwXFDUlo

This could be an interesting option... Any thoughts?
Unread 03-23-20, 12:28 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Engines

I would rather go with a Continental Air Cooled Diesel (https://www.continentalmotors.aero/d...nes/cd200.aspx ) or a Corvette Engine Conversion...
Jeff
Unread 03-23-20, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I would rather go with a Continental Air Cooled Diesel (https://www.continentalmotors.aero/d...nes/cd200.aspx ) or a Corvette Engine Conversion...
Jeff
I hear you. I had a conversation a few months back and they informed me that these engines would not be available to us, just new aircraft manufacturers.
Deltahawk feels that their 200hp unit would work well but it will be the end of the year at best. These options all would mean going experimental. The concern with the Corvette engine conversion is the weight would be far greater than the 360 engine. Am I correct? do you know of anyone who is doing it?
Unread 03-23-20, 01:55 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Robinson V-8

Paul - that's too bad about Continental. Would be a great re-engine opportunity for the Skymaster airframe to move to a diesel.

There is a guy in Canada that put some Corvette engines in a Skymaster. Skyvette it is called. I believe it was Brian Robinson that did the conversion ( www.v8seabee.com ) using his gearboxes and stuff. They certainly are heavier - but not sure if under the amateur built category in Canada if he was able to increase the gross weight, or just take the payload penalty. I would take the payload penalty to have aircraft engines that I could buy parts for at the local Chevy dealership or O-Reilly's. Also would have a dual fuel aircraft...

I emailed Brian Robinson years ago about a Skymaster conversion, as at one time his website he had a few in work. I have not seen anything public about anyone doing this on a Skymaster - and maybe for a reason???

It looks to me the Aeromomentum engine is to tall for our front installation - Because of our nose landing gear retraction and structure, I am not confident we have the ability to install that in the front of our Skymasters.
Jeff
Unread 03-23-20, 03:43 PM

Jeff - Dual fuel meaning avgas and unleaded? Being under experiment would one be able to carry passengers?

The 2.0L measurements seem to be close for the front replacement.
Unread 04-05-20, 08:44 PM

general is an unknown quantity at this point
The best conversion that I've seen is the Continental 550s, with over 300 horsepower on each end, the Skymaster jumps off the ground like crazy.
I've flown a few PT6s converted into single engine and they fly quite well and also.
IO-550-N engines, Hartzell Model PHC-G3YF-2UF/F7663D-2R propeller front, Hartzell Model PHC-I3YF-2AL/FLC7663DF-2 propeller rear, front and back AirScan engine installations and 5120 pounds Maximum Gross Weight

Last edited by general : 04-05-20 at 08:51 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: