Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-11-20, 01:32 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlgsse View Post
Yep. And those collins radios are junk, imo.
The bright side is I just don't fly ifr, so thank God it's got deice boots. In hawaii.
Hey at least the owner paid good money for all those aircraft canopy and prop covers! That's over a $1000 worth of merch right there!

The pics from 2007 show a Magellan 5000 GPS at the top of the stack. Its obviously been removed (no great loss), but that means you should have plenty of room to add a panel mount GPS down the road, if needed. Or lose the Collins nav coms and drop in a GTN750.

EDIT: I just noticed no autopilot installed. That will help your useful load, but hurts resale value. I'd be leary of putting too much $$$ in the panel, when the engines are high-time, and there's not an autopilot. The pool of potential buyers starts to become limited. If you plan to stay VFR, I'd probably fly it exactly as-is, and use a good portable ADS-B In solution along with a quality tablet EFB like Foreflight, Wing-X, Pilot, or Avare (for the cheapos amongst us - its 100% free).

I flew a Cessna 150J all over the continental US with a flybuddy GPS (bearing, distance & groundspeed only) and an KX170B. I shot ILS and VOR approaches with ease. I filed IFR most of the time just for the experience, and this was with no moving map (except the paper one in my lap thats trying to blow out the window - LOL). So you should be golden with a good tablet based GPS.

Last edited by mshac : 11-11-20 at 01:43 PM.
Unread 11-11-20, 01:35 PM

phlgsse is on a distinguished road
I wondered about the magellan, in the closeup pics, below the stack, there is a gps/nav toggle switch. Guess that's a remnant for that.

For the flying I do here I can get by with an ipad just fine. And at the 4k a year they want for insurance I can't afford a gtn ��

I noticed the covers were nice too. Good thing because hangars are $800 a month here. It'll have to live outside.
Unread 11-11-20, 01:51 PM

One last item, I would leave the boots on it, filed under "You never know". Do maintain them, or they will rot like an old tire. There are some very expensive products out there ($100/bottle) for maintaining boots, but once a multimillionaire whose has owned over 80 planes showed me how he treats his boots with a $5 bottle of floor polish (after cleaning them first of course).
Unread 11-11-20, 01:52 PM

phlgsse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
One last item, I would leave the boots on it, filed under "You never know". Do maintain them, or they will rot like an old tire. There are some very expensive products out there ($100/bottle) for maintaining boots, but once a multimillionaire whose has owned over 80 planes showed me how he treats his boots with a $5 bottle of floor polish (after cleaning them first of course).
it's entirely conceivable you can find ice here. 14-16k or so.
still not sure how I feel about the airplane, it strikes me as a potential money pit, even worse than most planes.
Unread 11-11-20, 02:03 PM

You just need to fly the airplane. Fly it to a destination you're used to, so you can focus on the airplane, and not the surroundings. Make the flight at least an hour, more if possible. Offer to pay for the gas. Pay close attention to the sellers response - does he immediately offer to set a time to go flying, or does he seem unwilling to commit to a flight with you, for reasons. This is the first filter a potential aircraft purchase should be put through. If the owner agrees to fly with you, there's a much better chance that the airplane is NOT going to be a money pit, and you can experience the flight characteristics yourself. Use every system on the airplane, make note of any squawks, do some airwork, make a few landings. At the end of the day, you'll have a much better idea if this is the plane for you or not!

PS - Thoroughly check for oil leaks after the flight. Most sellers will have the plane cleaned of any oil before a buyer comes to look at it.

Last edited by mshac : 11-11-20 at 02:06 PM.