Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-03-15, 02:20 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
props

Yep - during annual the age of my props was pointed out to me by the IA. SO, obviously I can take them off an do an overhaul, but pondering another large investment in my albatross....er, Skymaster

I stopped by the MT Prop booth at OSH, and my model was not listed on their brochure, so they said they would check to see if the T337C could be easily added, and if so would extend the show special to me after I got that info from them. I am about to email to follow up.

Looks like I would be looking at around $24Kish (maybe a little more or less) to get the new props on my plane. they are 3-bladed composite.

I know there was another recent thread, but just thought I would open it up wide...who has what props and why? In other words, have you stuck with the 2-blad McCauley? No problem, why haven't you gone for the 3-blade MT or Hartzell props? Do you have one of the 3-blades? No problem, why didn't you just overhaul your 2-blade McCauley, or buy new ones of that model when it was needed?

Again, like my batter thread...looking for PIREPS, good and bad. Just info sharing amongst us.

Let the opinions flow
Unread 10-16-15, 10:19 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Do the search thing

This topic has been discussed in a half dozen threads and a quick use of the search feature brings up pages of info about props and the MT props.

I can only repeat myself again, I have 14 years with my MT's and no regrets. Once I figured out how to keep the FOD out of the rear things have been Peachy.

I know that if you plan to do a lot of unimproved runway takeoffs the odds are you may encounter more issues with these blades but they are very easily repaired. Some folks gave up on them and that is understandable. You do have to buy both front and rear at the same time. No spreading out the cost over the years.

Robert, your C model is approved on the list

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...highlight=prop

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...highlight=prop

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-27-15, 09:48 PM

frfly172 is an unknown quantity at this point
Props

Wondering how the MT composite holds up in the rain,have experience with two blade MT composite in IFR.doesnt hold up well.
Unread 10-27-15, 11:27 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I fly IFR and I have had my MT's since 2003. The erosion will be visible at the paint edge of the stainless steel leading edge. The erosion is visible but no different than you would see on an metal blade. The stainless steel leading edge will show some wear and erosion but even after 6 years of use my leading edge was still within tolerances. When I had my props overhauled in 2009, MT said that the edges were still good but I choose to have them replaced because I was not planning to do anything for another 6 years. Figured I was already there for the overhaul and the new edges were only like $100 each blade. (6 blades)

Since the overhaul I have been applying prop tape to the leading edge. The rain will tear it up but I just replace it again and my blades look great with 6 years on them again. Maybe you fly more rain than I do but I have had my blades for 12 years now and probably over 1000 hours and no issues.

I can post some photos if interested

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years