Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-26-21, 02:26 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Installed Oxygen System

Does anyone know if there is a STC or form 337 way to install an oxygen bottle in the Skymaster and place distribution connections through the aircraft. I though I saw that factory oxygen bottle are stored above the headliner. I was wondering if I could do that. I have a portable oxygen bottle, but if I can I would like to make one of my upgrades to be able to plug into an onboard system when needed.

I looked through the message board and there is mention of oxygen systems, but I could not find this answer.
Unread 06-27-21, 11:02 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
If something was offered by the factory as an option, that something can be added to the airplane, using factory parts, with no STC required.

If your Skymaster had O2 as a factory option, which I believe all did, you can find the factory plumbing, new or used, and install it with nothing more than an A&P sign off.

Make sure your O2 bottle meets aviation standards, and has been hydro tested recently. There may be some lightweight carbon fiber bottle options out there, I'm not sure what paperwork they require.

Your best option is to sell it and buy a "P" model.

Last edited by mshac : 06-27-21 at 11:08 AM.
Unread 06-27-21, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the info Mshac. I will check further with my A&P. He wasn't sure if it can be done without performing some research, but I will let everyone know what path I decide to take. I did have the idea for awhile about trading up to a P or T model, but I like my aircraft. I decide, if it couldn't be done, then I would work around it such as carrying a portable oxygen bottle. It's just something that I would like to do and I wanted to know if it was a "No Way" situation.

Thanks,

Karl
Unread 06-28-21, 07:14 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I have a normally aspirated "G" with an Aerox 22 CF (#13-18906) installed under the leading edge of the rear seat. It is mounted to the floorboard with the Aerox BR-M brackets (#13-04033). Those part numbers might be Aircraft Spruce part numbers. The bottle has the four outlet regulator, and I don't have a problem reaching the valve or individual ports from the pilot seat. It is positioned not to interfere with the rear seat folding up against the pilot side cabin wall. The position makes it easy to preflight or fill. I will get a picture of the bottle and its position.

I routinely fly at 10 to 13K and typically start using O2 out of 9K. At night, I'm wearing it out of 5K, and if there is an approach involved on the arrival end, I will wear it through that. That O2 sure makes those approach lights nice and bright!
Unread 06-29-21, 01:51 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
My O2 bottle location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02_location.jpg (102.9 KB, 463 views)
Unread 06-29-21, 03:13 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
A small single portable is considerably lighter than the dual-bottle installed system. You can't use lightweight bottles if you try to replicate the factory system, as they were never factory parts and aren't PMA'ed. The factory system is more suitable if you want 4 or 6 people sucking O2 without a complete rat's nest of tubes. I never have more than two people on oxygen and the modern pulse meters make a small bottle last a long time.

I have most of the factory hardware (except bottles) still above my headliner. Let me know if you're serious about going that route.
Unread 07-01-21, 09:30 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have a few paths to go. I'll let you know what path I take after I talk more with my A&P.

Karl