Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-17-11, 11:58 AM

Jim Smith is on a distinguished road
Riley Super Skyrockets

I know very few of these were made, and see a couple for sale out there at a fraction of what they cost ($560K) originally. Anybody have the scoop on these? I've heard stories of them never making it to TBO, engine mount problems, high rear engine temps because of the big 520 eng., etc.
Unread 03-23-11, 10:30 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Article Attached

Go to this thread

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=2777

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-23-11, 11:07 AM

Riley Super Skyrockets

Thanks Herb. I've read those articles and back in the day when they were written the conversions were fairly new and of course the magazines were putting a nice friendly spin on them. Now that 15-20 years have passed on these Super Skyrocket conversions, time is the true teller of their success. I've spoken to a few people here and there and the feedback hasn't been very positive. The Super Skyrocket seems like a Skymaster enthusiasts dream plane, especially where they're priced right now, but the one's for sale just sit and sit. I was hoping someone on here had some experience with them or knew somebody that did, and could offer a first (or second) hand opinion.

Jim
Unread 03-23-11, 07:51 PM
Forum Administrator

I do know one person and I will see if I can have him contact you.

The reason these highly modified airplanes don't sell too often is price for the equipment. People that are going to spend the money for a pressurized twin want to enter in the rear and walk up the aisle. For the money there are a lot better choices out there unless you are really passionate for a Skymaster. If you have the mission that requires the qualities of the Skymaster and money is not an object then it's more of a novelty rather than a practical cabin class twin. Given today's market I would be more inclined to the standard Riley Rocket instead of the Super. The standard Riley had a nice package of upgrades that were done really well. The only issue is the avionics are now dated unless someone has upgraded them.

Unread 03-24-11, 11:43 AM

Riley Super Skyrockets

That certainly makes sense. I did a little more research and discovered that their payload is considerably less than a standard Skymaster, which is surprising for a plane that climbs at 2500fpm. Also, they burn 10-12 more gph at cruise for only a 30kt gain in performance. When you add in the cost of eng overhauls on Cont 520's and three bladed props, all those numbers don't add up to a very useful aircraft. Thanks again for you input.

On a different note, are there many SOAPA members heading to Sun and Fun this year?

Jim
Unread 03-24-11, 09:35 PM
Forum Administrator

I am not sure about the Sun N Fun attendance. I know that are a few that go every year. Last year we had the SOAPA gathering down there but it was the second week of April, a little later for SNF. We had a great time but the attendance for SOAPA event was down a little.
http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ght=SOAPA+2010