Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-02-04, 12:18 PM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Inter-coolers? VAR cranks

Should I be concerned about a P model without inter-coolers? Both engs have about 500 hrs and neither one have the VAR cranks
Unread 03-02-04, 01:04 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Having had one with intercoolers, I can tell you that NOT having them will make your maintenance costs lower. Other than that, the benefits of intercoolers are controversial. CPA's position is that they have no real benefit. I know from experience, having flow in P models without them and with, the engine temperatures, especially at altitude, will be lower with intercoolers.

Intercoolers do NOT provide more power, or other claims made to sell them in the past. They make you THINK you have more power, but actually they just fool you into running at a higher power setting than you think you are. Their only true benefit is to reduce operating temperatures some, which ought to be a good thing.

I don't push my engines when I fly, I am a 65% power kind of guy. If I had choice in my next Skymaster, I would prefer not have intercoolers, because I am really tired of taking it off and putting it back on the front engine every time I have to do anything up there...

Kevin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: