Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-01-21, 09:26 PM

GAdams is on a distinguished road
Insulation

I have my overhead open and I have taken the insulation down. It's very old and I was wondering if anyone has replaced their's? If so what material did you use and where did you buy it?
Unread 02-02-21, 11:01 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
I'm in the process of doing that myself right now.

I bought new insulation and vinal for the ceiling panels from AirTex - 215-295-4115. The insulation is fiberglass which is foil backed on both sides.

Additionally, (and I would recommend you check this out also) you can contact Tanya Morris at Skandia, Inc - 815-985-7072 to see what Skandia has to offer. I expect they might have several options for you. I bought new foam for the ceiling panels through her, and she was great to work with. Skandia does have a $250 minimum order you might have to work with.

As a side note, the insulation in my plane had, at some point in the past, been glued on. My IA suggested it not be glued on so inspections can be accomplished.

Rick
Unread 02-02-21, 06:23 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Super Sound Proofing

I purchased different thickness of Super Sound Proofing from Aircraft Spruce. I used mostly 3/4" thick, and cut to fit into all the spaces. I would put a bit of contact cement on the backs to hold them in place to keep them from vibrating out. Easy to remove if you have to do any inspection (but the way it installs on the skin panels, you can still inspect all primary structure, wiring and cables), and since they are closed cell foam, won't hold moisture and cause corrosion.

I did not insulate for the cold, rather from the heat since I live in Texas. Product is easy to work with (buy a cheap electric carving knife) and I really enjoyed installing it. May not be the best insulation - but provides some noise attenuation, some insulation, and is very clean looking and easy to work with.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R3.jpg (821.3 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (818.9 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg R1.jpg (808.6 KB, 638 views)

Last edited by JAG : 02-03-21 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Fixed some grammar
Unread 02-03-21, 10:30 AM

cartrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I purchased different thickness of Super Sound Proofing from Aircraft Spruce. I used mostly 3/4" thick, and cut to fit into all the spaces. I would put a bit of contact cement on the backs to hold them in place to keep them from vibrating out. Easy to remove if you have to do any inspection (but the way it installs on the skin panels, you can still inspect all primary structure, wiring and cables), and since they are closed cell foam, won't hold moisture and cause corrosion.

I did not insulate for the cold, rather from the heat since I live in Texas. Product is easy to work with (buy a cheap electric carving knife) and I really enjoyed installing it. May not be the best insulation - but provides some noise attenuation, some insulation, and is very clean looking and easy to work with.

Jeff
How long of a roll did you purchase? I'm about to do this same thing to mine
Unread 02-03-21, 10:51 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Length of roll

I just reviewed my notes - I purchased two different thickness of Super Sound Proofing; 22' roll of 1", and 22' roll of 1/2". I did not use very much of the 1/2" - only in places that the 1" would not fit; mostly in some areas of forward
lower side panels, door, etc. Almost all of the ceiling and side walls was 1". I am not sure how much I used of the 1", but I have a lot left over!!!!! I would recommend you make a precise measurement of the total area you want to cover to determine how much you need. I did do that, but I was not exact and ended up buying way more than I needed.

A word of warning - the shipping cost on this stuff was ridiculous! I do not recall the cost of it, but I remember being so shocked that I called Aircraft Spruce about the cost of the shipping to see about a reduction, but had no luck. The stuff is light, but is bulky.

Jeff

UPDATE - cost of Super Sound Proofing (per details above) $907.50. Cost of shipping $230.84.

Last edited by JAG : 02-04-21 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Updating shipping cost - found the bill
Unread 02-04-21, 12:45 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
I also used Aircraft Spruce, but ordered ORCOTEK blankets. Very similar to ones I used on commercial airliners (747). Easy to cut to fit, and tape into place. Then easy to remove for airframe inspection.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: