Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-06-04, 01:42 PM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Oil Leaks

Ok folks now that I have 20 or so hours in our new bird I like it even more than I thought I would!!! It is way more fun that any one should have.
However I am already tired of wiping off the rear cowl. it appers that the rear eng is dry and the oil is coming from the front along the bottom and up on the rear cowl. Where are the most common areas to hunt this down? Also the rear alt flickers all the time untill I load it up. It acts more like a load meter the more load I give it he better it likes it.
Other than that what a great ride!!!! We had it looking like a snow ball the 1st day we flew.
Kevin B
Unread 01-21-06, 08:05 AM

basloane is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently went through this with my plane. We removed the alternator, mags, etc. from the accessory casing twice until an engine shop directed us to a small shaft pressed into the accessory casing just above the alternator.

We mixed up some super epoxy "cement", trowelled it into the hole, fashioned a combined gasket to include the camshaft end cover ( triangular piece just above the Alternator ) and put the works back together with lots of gasket goop.

Problem appears to be solved. Hope this works for you and continues to work for me.

Best Regards,.......Barry Sloane
Unread 01-21-06, 09:46 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Oil

Hi Kevin,

Regarding the alternator flicking light, there is an adjustment that can be made on the voltage regulator. I suggest you call Eric Metzger at Metzger's Aviation, I am sure he can solve the problem quickly and his rates are very reasonable. Both Larry and I have him do the work on our planes and he is very knowledgeable on ourSkymasters. He is on Marshall airport (RMY) only about a 20 minute flight from you airport.

As for your oil leaks, there are many places it can come from. Again, Eric can trace it down for you.

Eric's Cell phone number is...269-598-8497

BTW, for those reading this and within a reasonable flight from RMY, if you need a good mechanic, Eric really knows his stuff when it comes to skymasters and he is truly an honest guy.

Today he is in Lansing at the Great Lakes Aviation Conference.
Unread 01-22-06, 05:47 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Jerry

This thread was started 18 or so months ago. I think Kevin has his plane for sale on the site. I have not used Eric yet and he is in my back yard. I know that he comes highly recommeded by you and Larry. If something comes up (knock on wood) I will give him a call.

BTW, Larry and I got some nice video today of formation flying and I will start to lay it down on a DVD.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years