Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-01-03, 05:15 PM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Deice boots

I have found a 337 that I would like to buy it does not have de-ice. Is it cost effective to put boots on or cant it even be done via STC.
Kevin B
Unread 10-01-03, 05:27 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I looked into this a lot several years ago. Here is what I learned:

To get to the bottom line first, it is cost prohibitive. I mean REALLY prohibitive.

You can do it, by finding and installing all of the Cessa parts that are on a deice equipped aircraft. This means early models are out, because deice boots were not available for 337s until the late sixties.

Finding all the parts would be a real challenge. And the often touted "plumbed for boots" is not would you (or at least I) would imagine it to be. If the aircraft has the "plumbed for deice" option, you still have 90% of the parts to find. And 90% of the labor left to do.

Ah, labor. This is the real problem. People have quoted me $20K to try and do this. *Plus* parts (which would be another $20K). Maybe this quote was ridiculous. For another opinion, talk to Mary Ann Kingsley of Skyrocket LLC. At Oshkosh 2002, she told our group that she had an airplane in the shop right then, trying to do this modification. It was taking forever, was not done, and she said, emphatically, that she would never do it again.

I could find no aftermarket STCs for deice on 337s, including TKS. TKS said they had "thought about" doing it, but that is was fairly far down their list.

Then, if you went ahead and did all this, you now have an option that increases the retail value of the airplane $4000, according to the latest Vref.

I decided to find and pay a little more for an airplane that already had the boots.

My experience, offered as a starting point for your own decision...

Kevin
Unread 10-01-03, 08:39 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
And to add to Kevin's post, one more thing to consider. After doing all of that, the aircraft is not approved for flight into know icing conditions.
Unread 10-01-03, 08:48 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Heavy Ice

True, not certified for flight into known ice, but can help you get into a bad situation.

However, if it isn't there, you really can't add it. In addition to the boots, you need controllers, different vacuum pumps, plumbing, etc etc.

De-iced skymasters are really not that common.
Unread 10-02-03, 01:52 AM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
True, they are not that common. But I wouldn't trade mine for one missing the hot prop and boots for the tea in China. They work and they're great to have if you live or fly in the U.S. outside of Florida, etc. Mine is turbo'd and can climb well, but having those boots is still a major benefit - speaking from experience.
Unread 10-03-03, 07:14 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Totally agree with Kevin.

No other systems approved for 337. Riley WAS working on a new system but not heard about it for last two years. It would be cost prohibitive to try and add boots!

I find them mandatory if you are trying to run the altitudes with a "P" or turbo, especially around the great lakes!

fyi

bob
Unread 11-06-03, 12:44 PM

RRossner is an unknown quantity at this point
Tule River Aero has done several full boot jobs on P337's in the past either with or without partial plumbing.

Yes it is a big job and it costs about $34K which includes 200 hours of labor and all the hardware, heavy duty vacuum pumps, and hot plate.

If your interested in more information please give us a call at 866-788-8724.

Regards,

Rick Rossner
Vice President, Sales

Rick Rossner
President/CEO
Tule River Aero-Industries
rick@tuleriveraero.com