Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-07-20, 02:07 PM

S019 is on a distinguished road
Questions for a tire kicker

New here and just kicking the proverbial tires. I currently own an RV-10 but my wife wants pressurization and I want 2 engines. a P337 is definitely on my short list. I do have a couple questions that I have not been able to find in a search of the forums. So forgive me if I crafted a poor search query and missed it.

1) Does the P337 fit into a standard T-hangar with a 42' doo and 32 feet deep. I see in the manual that the overall dimensions fit, but with the wing sitting further back I worry that the trailing edge of the wing may be up against the walls in the corner before the door would clear the nose. Can't imagine there is an issue with the lateral clearance of the tailbooms on the side walls in the rear section of the hangar.
2) I am based just south of Baton Rouge, LA at KREG, are there any 337's anywhere near this general gulf south area? I have never even seen one on a ramp in almost 23 years of flying, let alone had a chance to see and sit in one. Always looking for an excuse to fly if anyone within an hour or 2 flight time is open to showing me around one?
3) The certificates in my wallet say I have an ATP certificate and CFI/I MEI and A&P/IA. But since I have never even seen a 337 in person I would be remiss if I thought I knew anymore about them than I have read on this site in my last couple days of forum stalking. So, since this seems to be a relatively small community what are the resources available for flight and maintenance training? I couldn't see any offerings by Cessna Owners and didn't know where else to look.

As I delve back into the forum history I would appreciate anything else of value the group may have to offer. Thanks.

Eric
Unread 10-07-20, 03:01 PM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Hi Eric, welcome to the Forum.

I can help you with dimensions for a pressurized G model.

The wingspan is 38'-2"
the length is 29'-10"
the height is 9'-2"
the width of the booms is 10'-8.25"

Rick
Unread 10-07-20, 03:12 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile Questions for a tire kicker

Eric. I own and maintain a 1965 C337. Yes the P337 will fit your hangar size. Mine sits about 2 feet from the trailing edge of the wings. and the wing tips are about a foot from walls. About 1-1 1/2 feet from the rudders trailing edge. I received my flight training here in Western Pennsylvania and basically stumbled across my CFI/MEI here at my home airport! Finding a DPE was more trouble, but found two, one in SW New York and another in central W. Virginia. I had about 900 hours as a Pvt single engine/100 Series Cessnas. When I started training in my Skymaster. Had about 50 hours when I was signed off to take my check ride. I did find another CFI/MEI in Nashville Tn. I needed a second MEI sign off, he was a good and understanding instructor. As for where to find a Skymaster, two web sites come to mind. First-BARNSTORMERS.COM, the other is SKYMASTER CENTER, the company is in South Carolina. Prices for a good P337 start around $100,000 with mid-time engines. Skymaster Center offers a Re-manufactured P337with new engines, special additions like winglets and new instrument panels, etc is about $425,000. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me directly at bstory@pa.rr.com.
Good hunting.
BILLS, C337 owner/pilot/A&P

Last edited by cessnadriver : 10-07-20 at 03:16 PM.
Unread 10-07-20, 03:12 PM

Thanks Rick. I was able to grab those from an online manual. Glad to see confirmation though that I had the correct figures. What I am most concerned about for dimensions is essentially the distance from the front spinner to the trailing edge of the wing and making sure I can push the plane in far enough to close the door and not drive the wings into the back walls by the tail section.

Eric
Unread 10-07-20, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnadriver View Post
Eric. I own and maintain a 1965 C337. Yes the P337 will fit your hangar size. Mine sits about 2 feet from the walls from the trailing edge of the wings. and the wing tips are about foot from walls. About 1-1 1/2 feet from the rudders trailing edge. I received my flight training here in Western Pennsylvania and basically stumbled across my CFI/MEI here at my home airport! Finding a DPE was more trouble, but find two, one in SW New York and another in central W. Virginia. I had about 900 hours as a Pvt single engine/100 Series Cessnas. When I started training in my Skymaster. Had about 50 hours when I was signed off to take my check ride. I did found another CFI/MEI in Nashville Tn. I needed a second MEI sign off, he was a good and understanding instructor. As for where to find a Skymaster, two web sites come to mind. First-BARNSTORMERS.COM, the other is SKYMASTER CENTER, the company is in South Carolina. Prices for a good P337 start around $100,000 with mid-time engines. Skymaster Center offers a Re-manufactured with new engines, special additions like winglets and new instrument panels, etc is about $425,000. If you have further quessts please feel free to contact me directly at bstory@pa.rr.com.
Good hunting.
BILLS, C337 owner/pilot/A&P
Great. That is what I was looking for. Thank you. I have been snooping around and have seen a few I am interested in but at the end of the day I still have to sell my RV-10 before I can do anything serious. Looks like a couple out there have been pretty idle in the previous years. Probably need some catch up maintenance, which I am not afraid of when priced right. It'll all depend on what's out there when I am in a position to be a buyer. And after finding a way to see one of these flying machines in person to see if it is going to feel right for me.

Eric
Unread 10-07-20, 04:58 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Instructor and such

There is a great guy just west of Fort Smith, AR (Sallisaw, OK) that is very passionate about 337's. You can find more about it in this thread:

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4673

If you want a type specific certificate (ME limited to center thrust) there are a few folks splattered about the country. Besides the ones mentioned below, there is Brad Newman at Tiffin Aire in Tiffin OH. If you want to get up north, Doug Rozendall who is the Chief of Staff for the Commemorative Air force lives up here in Mason City IA and he indicated that he would be able to give me my center thrust rating if my original plans fell through (which they didnt). There are options out there, but you may have to do a little traveling. I didnt mind as it involved flying. So I trained in OK and then flew with my instructor to OH for the check ride and then flew home to IA the next day. It was a some good flying!

Opps....I see your wallet is full of certificates! Helps if I read the entire post......

Last edited by TomM : 10-07-20 at 05:28 PM. Reason: update
Unread 10-07-20, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
There is a great guy just west of Fort Smith, AR (Sallisaw, OK) that is very passionate about 337's. You can find more about it in this thread:

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4673

If you want a type specific certificate (ME limited to center thrust) there are a few folks splattered about the country. Besides the ones mentioned below, there is Brad Newman at Tiffin Aire in Tiffin OH. If you want to get up north, Doug Rozendall who is the Chief of Staff for the Commemorative Air force lives up here in Mason City IA and he indicated that he would be able to give me my center thrust rating if my original plans fell through (which they didnt). There are options out there, but you may have to do a little traveling. I didnt mind as it involved flying. So I trained in OK and then flew with my instructor to OH for the check ride and then flew home to IA the next day. It was a some good flying!

Opps....I see your wallet is full of certificates! Helps if I read the entire post......
No problem. What you provided is good info. Despite having amassed certificates if I go this route I still want some dual instruction. The 337 is different than any other twin I have flown and my only pressurization time is in a Citation. Very different and type specific training is a must for me regardless of any insurance requirement.
Unread 10-07-20, 07:30 PM

GAdams is on a distinguished road
My C337D spinner just clears the hangar door by an inch or two. Another guys P337 in the same T hangar complex clear by fractions of an inch. I have to put fenders on my trailing edges and back it in until it touches the fenders. I use those pool noodles the kids play with for fenders.
Unread 10-07-20, 10:13 PM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
I'm at KCXO, Conroe, TX

We have a 1975 337, not pressurized at Conroe airport. My nephew goes to LSU and we have been talking about making a trip to Baton Rouge to visit him for lunch toward the end of this month. Perhaps we could meet up with you also if you'd be interested.

My number is 936-494-5596. Send me a text if you like. Good luck,

Tripp Page
Unread 10-07-20, 11:50 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
My hangar measures 230" from the wall of the T to the door, my P337 fit with loads of room to spare, didn't even have to disconnect my Powertow tug to close the door. Where do you live? If it is warm there you might strongly consider air conditioning. The P337 is the least expensive pressurized piston twin to own, not inexpensive, but less than anything else. We liked ours and still miss it in some ways although it wasn't really any faster than our P210, didn't really climb any faster while keeping CHTs in check and actually carried less with full fuel. Comfortable though and with wonderful visibility since you sit in front of the wing. Now if I could just find a way to cram my MU-2 into the same hangar!
Unread 10-08-20, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
We have a 1975 337, not pressurized at Conroe airport. My nephew goes to LSU and we have been talking about making a trip to Baton Rouge to visit him for lunch toward the end of this month. Perhaps we could meet up with you also if you'd be interested.

My number is 936-494-5596. Send me a text if you like. Good luck,

Tripp Page
That would be great. We were actually just over at Conroe. It's one of my favorite $100 hamburger stops and I have found myself there several times flying relief supplies over after Harvey and on Pilots N Paws flights. Great airport. I'll text you my contact info today. If we can't link up when you come this way I'll make the flight over. Thank you.

Eric
Unread 10-08-20, 08:19 AM

A/C is a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
My hangar measures 230" from the wall of the T to the door, my P337 fit with loads of room to spare, didn't even have to disconnect my Powertow tug to close the door. Where do you live? If it is warm there you might strongly consider air conditioning. The P337 is the least expensive pressurized piston twin to own, not inexpensive, but less than anything else. We liked ours and still miss it in some ways although it wasn't really any faster than our P210, didn't really climb any faster while keeping CHTs in check and actually carried less with full fuel. Comfortable though and with wonderful visibility since you sit in front of the wing. Now if I could just find a way to cram my MU-2 into the same hangar!
We live in Baton Rouge, LA. Air Conditioning is a MUST!!! Most of my flying is south of the Mason Dixon line between Texas, Louisiana, Florida and Tennessee. I had talked about installing A/C in my RV-10 last summer before my wife and I were flying back from Destin and were held on the ground 'awaiting ATC release' for our IFR flight. By the time I got to cruise she simply said if I have the money in 'airplane account' to get the A/C installed. It has got to be in the next plane if i'm going to continue to have a wife flying along with the kiddo. Looks like it is going to run upwards of $30-35k to get one installed if needed. Are there any places other than Aviation Enterprises that install such a system?

Eric
Unread 10-08-20, 03:12 PM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by S019 View Post
We live in Baton Rouge, LA. Air Conditioning is a MUST!!! Most of my flying is south of the Mason Dixon line between Texas, Louisiana, Florida and Tennessee. I had talked about installing A/C in my RV-10 last summer before my wife and I were flying back from Destin and were held on the ground 'awaiting ATC release' for our IFR flight. By the time I got to cruise she simply said if I have the money in 'airplane account' to get the A/C installed. It has got to be in the next plane if i'm going to continue to have a wife flying along with the kiddo. Looks like it is going to run upwards of $30-35k to get one installed if needed. Are there any places other than Aviation Enterprises that install such a system?

Eric
I'm glad you brought this up. I was just about to ask the board members if anyone has had recent experience with A/C installation.
Unread 10-08-20, 08:08 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
P337h

I operate a P337H out of Granbury, TX. If I may be of any assistance, please advise.
Unread 10-08-20, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
I operate a P337H out of Granbury, TX. If I may be of any assistance, please advise.
Absolutely. I’d love to see as many of these planes as possible. I don’t get up the Dallas way too often but can try to make the trek in the coming weeks. If you are ever out and about for one of those $100 hamburgers one day I can try to meet up there too. I’m always looking for good reasons to fly.

Eric

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: