Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-25-03, 09:03 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool What to do, what to do!!!

Hey guy's, last winter was the mother of all winters up here in the North East. I t was one heck of a job just keeping the front of my hangar open and clean enough to use my tug to to get bird in and out. With that said I am considering to just change the oils give her a good cleaning remove the battery and wait winter out. January, February, and March. Any thoughts? guy, the old 72 driver...
Unread 10-25-03, 04:55 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Winter storage...

Guy,

Just turn the props by hand as per the POH/Service Manual every 7-days and you should be okay. I'd stay away from any Tannis or other type of heating devices as they will create moisture within the engine. You might also consider dehydrator plugs in each spark plug hole and also in the exhaust stacks. And keep an ordinary 75-watt light or one of those recreational vehicle type heat wands in the cockpit, preferably attached to the rudder pedals so your avionics keep dry.

There are probably other things you can do, as per Cessna's recommended procedures in the POH/Service Manual, but whatever you do, DON'T START the engines and run them on the ground, or you WILL end up with moisture accumulation... and then pitting of the cam, etc., which will then necessitate a tear down.

SkyKing
Unread 10-26-03, 09:27 AM

Ken MacLean is an unknown quantity at this point
Snowbound

Guy - I'll be flying weekly all winter and will be happy to fly or drive by and give a hand with shoveling. And maybe we can get some flying in together. You have my phone.

Ken
Unread 10-26-03, 12:36 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Thanks...

Ken, I may see if they have any room in the common heated hangar at Keyson or GFW and the price for Jan Feb and March would be. Guy