Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-06-03, 10:23 PM

Ronald Stello is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator restart

Good evening Skymaster enthusiasts:
I'll bet I'm the only skymaster owner who does not know where the cradle is located that the alkaline batteries are place for the alternator restart system. Had an electrical loss the other day. Front eng. alternator light on, No rear alternator light indication but battery dropped to 11 v. turned everything off and barely had enough juice to get 1/3 flaps down to land. Alternator restart did not work. Previous checks of the alternators as discribed in the POH were OK. A look under the panel, where I thought the battery cradle was suppose to be rvealed nothing that I could identify as the battery cradle. I could not find this in the service manual or POH. I would appreciate a response as to where to look.
Thanks

Ron
Unread 10-07-03, 02:36 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Ron,

For visual acuity you might want to remove the left-side avionics hatch to shed some light into the area, but the holder for the 4-each C-Cell batteries for the alternator restart system is easily located just above the nose wheel well on the pilot side...just to the right and above the right rudder pedal (PILOT SIDE!). After they're replaced, its best to secure the batteries in the holder with a couple of plastic tie-wraps.

You might want to check carefully for any corrosion or battery leakage and clean the area with a moistened towelette with bicarbonate soda, such as Arm & Hammer to neautralize things before installing the new batteries, and then clean the contacts on each end of the battery holder with some contact cleaner.

For easier access to things like the battery holder for the alternator restart or other items underneath and directly behind the instrument panel... without having to become a severe 'contortionist', it's a good idea to remove the two front seats and then lay a thick blanket down for cushioning.

Hopes this helps.

SkyKing
Unread 10-07-03, 07:50 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Dry cell batteries....

Ron,
I have a 77 G non presurized model. My book says (and I have seen them) are located on the control quadrant support forward of the panel supply power for the system. (behind the landing gear electric motor) Guy, the old 72 driver...
Unread 10-08-03, 03:14 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Model Year ??

Model year and/or serial number range may indeed disclose slight variations in the specific location of the cradle for the alternator restart batteries...

So, Ron, what model year Skymaster do you have?

SkyKing
Unread 10-08-03, 06:38 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Time to learn?

I don't see such a thing in my bird (67 - 337B). I trust it was added on ships that don't use the 38 amp ford alternators, i.e. later models.
Unread 10-08-03, 06:31 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Restart

Jim

I have a 1967 - 337B and yes they don't have restart but we have a RUN/STANDBY swt. we can turn on if we loose the main contactor and the alt. will be excited directly from the battery, the battery won't charge but the alt. will run everything on the A/C.
I think WE have great planes.
Fred N358

Last edited by FRED-E : 10-08-03 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 10-08-03, 08:34 PM

Ronald Stello is an unknown quantity at this point
alternator restart

Thanks to all for the help on finding the battery holder. I'll pull the front seats tomorrow and get started as skyking suggested.
by the way it is 1972F model.

Thanks again

Ron
Unread 10-09-03, 01:21 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have a 67 model (T337B) which doesn't have the "re-start" apparatus. When I first read and heard about them I spent a lot of time tracking down where they were supposed to be and wondering why mine didn't have it, etc. Even that "expert" who now resides at the other website (again) didn't seem to know abou these earlier models.

Frankly, I was glad to know we didn't have the thing and have to mess with it.