Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-18-03, 10:59 AM
Flight Instructor

JediNein is an unknown quantity at this point
To remember to push all the levers forward, try using the saying "mixtures, props, throttles."

It works for go arounds, takeoffs, and engine out procedures in 337s, 210s, 206s, 182s, and so on.

It is part of the MEL one engine failure chant, "mixtures, props, throttles, gear -->NOT IN A 337!!!!!!!!<--, flaps, identify, verify, feather, secure."

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein
Unread 10-20-03, 10:14 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Jedi, your comment about go arounds and engine failures was a little confusing. I think you meant that in a 337 vs other twins, you do not raise the gear. Is that correct?

Jim Rainer
Unread 10-20-03, 11:07 AM
Flight Instructor

JediNein is an unknown quantity at this point
That is correct. In a 337, unlike most other twins, raising the gear after an engine failure is a bad idea. Opening the gear doors on the 337 cause far more serious problems to lift, airspeed, and altitude versus leaving the landing gear extended and sacrificing a small amount of airspeed.

There have been several cases where a 337 lost an engine, the pilot selected gear up, and then the aircraft stalled and crashed. If the gear is left down, the 337 may climb or it may not depending on several factors. Still, the 336/337s are completely controllable with either engine failed.

On many conventional twins, the landing gear causes serious amounts of drag and may make the difference between crashing or climbing.

Unfortunately, the cluster in twin crashes is not the pilot failing to retract the gear. It is a complete lack of practiced emergency procedures.

I'm not quite sure why my post in response to a thread was left dangling on it's own. I first saw it in the proper context, came back the next day to see it on its own with a response, and the next day on its own again without a response, now it has your and my responses.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein
Unread 10-20-03, 11:54 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Your message was moved because it was changing the subject of the thread. The thread it was in was "How To Start A 337", and these three messages don't fit in that subject. The previous message in the starting thread did indeed have a contextual thread that you were responding too, but when I split a thread that has wandered away from its original subject, I have to pick somewhere to do it, and your message seemed like the logical breakpoint.

The reason for splitting the threads is that folks tend to just reply and reply and reply to a single thread, and then you end up with threads that are labeled with subject A, and consist mostly of messages on subjects B, C and D. If I split them, it makes it easier to find information on a particular subject.

Sorry if the move was confusing for you.

Below are some other threads that have discussed go around procedures and when to retract the gear, if either of you are interested.

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...=&threadid=790
http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...=&threadid=473

Kevin