Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-01-18, 02:13 PM

spurlockda is on a distinguished road
Proper installation of aft control cables

Hi folks,

I’m trying to correctly re-install my aft engine quadrant control cables because the previous owner’s people installed them incorrectly I believe. I can identify at least two different kinds of cables based upon their appearance. Two are plain wirewound, two are wirewound with a single spiral flat looking wrap and one is a smaller diameter wirewound with the single spiral flat looking wrap (I’m not at the hangar so I think that is right - I’ll be at the hangar in an hour or so, so i’ll check for sure).

I can tell they don’t seem to be installed correctly because one of them has a large bow in it back where they emerge from the tunnel in the main mount’s wheel wells and then go through the shelf up into the aft engine compartment.

I haven’t been able to find anything in the service manual (updated through change 9).

Thanks,
Dave
Unread 10-01-18, 02:57 PM

DaveM is on a distinguished road
I wish I could help on the different type cables. The flat spiral wrap sounds like a Cable Craft unit. probably custom made. A large loop in the wheel well is not normal routing.

Dave
Unread 10-01-18, 03:05 PM

spurlockda is on a distinguished road
Control cables

Thanks for the response. I’m going to take some pictures today and I’ll post them.

I’m working hard to get everything proper. The previous owner had a lot of things done over the years and I’m not sure of a lot of them. I was in Naval Aviation for a 30 yr career and I want to make my Skymaster be as close to military style of maintenance as possible. I figure if military maintenance can keep aircraft flying for 50+ yrs with the safety record they have, then their best practices must have merit.
Unread 10-01-18, 04:05 PM

DaveM is on a distinguished road
Good for you. There is a lot of bad maintenance on the Skymasters. A lot of owners don't have the funds to do it right or they have mechanics that do not have the skills to evaluate the maintenance that is really needed. Navy maintenance required changing a lot of parts. The problem is that a lot of the parts are simply not available today so you need someone that can also fabricate and deal with corrosion prevention and issues like that. Good systematic inspection is so important.

Dave M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: