Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Mechanics and Service Providers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-20-11, 07:08 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Question Managed aircraft maintenance services

Question for the group: does anyone have any experience with managed maintenance services (like Savvy or others) http://www.savvymx.com/

Or, do you as owner/operators handle Mx on your own? Would love to hear opinions on any side of the issue...

Thanks!
Unread 01-03-12, 12:26 AM

sns3guppy is on a distinguished road
I haven't used those services, but have involved programs such as CAMP Systems for ongoing maintenance and tracking, in the past. A variety of such programs exist. When keeping track of the next inspection, maintenance intervals and component times, etc, becomes arduous as aircraft complexity increases, the use of support programs like CAMPs are very useful. SAVVY would do the same for you, but offer you consulting and additional coordination support. Probably well worth your time and money, especially if maintenance tracking (and maintenance in general) isn't your forte. (CAMP isn't applicable to the skymaster; it's primarily for more complex, advanced aircraft, but the principle is the same).

Mike Busch is a knowledgeable guy; he's got a lot of good experience and has a lot to offer. I've disagreed with him on occasion and continue to do so on certain topics, but I do respect his views, and he's definitely been around the block a time or two.

If you're not up on maintenance practices and requirements, it's really easy to end up paying a lot more than you need to for upkeep. Some shops are unscrupulous, or excessively cautious, and will end up trying to nick you for every little thing they can. Some will try to tell you that the Cessna SID inspections, or anything marked by the manufacturer, is "mandatory," and must be done. Such folks are either trying to cover their tails at your expense, or don't understand the rules of the game. Management services can help you wade through those financial pitfalls, and are well worth your investment.

Last edited by sns3guppy : 01-03-12 at 12:44 AM.
Unread 05-20-15, 06:07 PM

337 Junkie is on a distinguished road
HMMmmmmmm

It definitely has it's place, primarily amongst people who have busy lives and may or may not have an interest in digging through old log books with faded cursive from last century. It's cheaper for you and much better for you if you find a mechanic you trust, sit down and really go through all the logs and do it yourself. It might not be cheaper the first time but it's cheaper than paying every stinking year!!! Frequently your mechanic will take some time and sit down with you no charge and review your mx schedule. You probably won't get dirty and if you want to help, dirt does NOT have cooties so don't be afraid! They should already have a good handle on it. The first advantage is you know the aircraft better, the second is that you don't give up your logbooks to somebody you've never met. I do the same thing as an IA, have the customer help with the annual, have them help with the AD list, have them help with the physical servicing of the aircraft (oh the stories of newbies) and they really appreciate/know/fly better at the end of the day. They then know exactly when everything is due, know the systems better and feel better at the end of the day. Don't mail off your log books if you don't have to. If you are overwhelmed in life, maybe it's better if you do... but don't forget that the mail service loses packages too.... If you can't afford the time to sit down with a mechanic, maybe you should ask yourself about your priorities in life. I speak from both the viewpoint of an owner/operator and a mechanic. If you need a good mechanic, ask around. It's not too hard to sniff out the good and the bad. If you research AD's with your mechanic, you can read what's driving the maintenance issues on your type aircraft and maybe it will influence how you use the aircraft. The more I know, the more I know I don't know... and it's a learning process every day. Best of luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: