Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-18-02, 07:48 PM

Question Throttle Quadrant Cables - Oil Pressure

Hi All,

Anyone know a good source for purchasing a front engine mixture control cable and a front engine prop control cable. Mine are unfortunately very difficult to push and pull and I would like to replace them immediately. Cessna gets a fortune for these cables. Can I use a PMA supplier? Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated.

Also, we just changed the front engine oil pressure line that runs from the oil pressure gauge to the fire wall (inside the avionics inspection hatch). After doing so the oil pressure for the front engine (the engine that we changed the hose) appears to be in excess of the green range. It swings from 0 (engine off) to between the top of the green and the red line.......Any thoughts? We tried the line without priming it and then we reinstalled it by priming the line with oil? My A&P said he'd revisit it again tomorrow but I figured I'd throw it out there for suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris (1975 337G)
Unread 10-18-02, 09:27 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool article

Chris, I emailed you an article, did you receive it? guy....old72driver....
Unread 10-21-02, 01:29 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
I recommend Commodore Aerospace (405-722-4079) or Preferred Airparts (800-433-0814) for your cables. You can probably save a bundle.
Unread 10-21-02, 06:10 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
oil pressur swing

Mine has done this too. all temps are normal. decided that its ok to have some warts. J
Unread 10-21-02, 06:27 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Check with your mechanic, but I believe my mechanic primed it with hydraulic fluid to prevent this problem. (That was done on a '65 337, and I think he did it on my '73 P337 as well when we were getting low oil pressure readings.)

Kevin
Unread 10-22-02, 08:57 AM

The solutions (proposed by Guy) worked like a charm. I took my break bleeder tank and partially filled it with marvels mystery oil and added to it powdered graphite. After mixing it up good, I fitted my break bleeder tank with a 7/16" ID vinly hose. I then removed the ends of the throttle, mixture and prop cables on the engine side. Next I placed the 7/16" hose over the end of the cable and tightened it on using a small clamp. Then, I released the pressure from the tank in essence filling the inside of the cable assemblies with the lubricating mixture. This is known as pressure lubrication! If done properly, the mixture will start to ooze out of the throttle quadrants. This is when you stop applying the potion. Then, I exercised the throttle quadrants and the cables operate like new!

Thanks Guy for the help (and everyone else too). This is truly a wonderful solution. Naturally if they get worse again in a short period of time I'll replace them.

I recommend this for anyone whose quadrants are a little stiff!

Chris
Unread 10-22-02, 06:34 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Plagiarized.....

Chris, glad to be of help but I can't take the credit for the smarts, only for passing it on. Guys I got it off of another site and passed it on via email. Guy....old72driver....