Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-18-05, 08:34 PM

Nick Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Replacing AP

I have an aging, ailing Bendix FCS-810 AP and have been warned by several avionics techs that once on the downhill slide, replacement is best. Anyone had any experience with installing new AP in their Skymaster and what might be costs involved? I have a garmin 530 which I would like to couple with.

I will have the AC in Florida for annual at FXE, and would appreciate input from South Florida 337 owners about the Banyan (ex?) avionics shop there. Also planned to get some prop work and wonder if the Banyan prop shop is good.

Thanks for any advice.
Unread 04-19-05, 02:08 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
STEC-50 w/altitude hold

Nick,

Our '77 P-model, when it came from the factory, had the 400B IFCS but no radios. The previous owner yanked all the stuff out and stuck an STEC-50 system with altitude hold and nav-couplers in the airplane and since we've had it now going on 7-years, we've never had a glitch. The control head fits perfectly in the square cutout where the old 400 mode selector was located just above the elevator trim wheel, and the electric turn coordinator replaced the Cessna unit. I've seen used systems on some of the boards for under $4K. The STEC-50 would probably be your best bet.

SkyKing
Unread 04-19-05, 10:11 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
We are doing an avionics upgrade. Installing a Garmin 530 GPS, Garmin 340 Audio Panel, Garmin 330 S-mode Transponder and an S-tec 65 Autopilot. Hopefully this will all work out well. We have an avionics shop in Chesapeake, Virginia in which we have the upmost trust. Reasonable prices plus integrity... A real great thing to find.

We can post results on the web site later, but knowing these folks, I have no doubt that all will work out OK. The shop is "Bay Avionics". Jim Miller is the owner. Their phone number is (757) 488-7700.

Last edited by stackj : 04-19-05 at 10:17 PM.
Unread 04-20-05, 11:46 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim, will you have you bird back in time to take it to Key West?
Unread 04-20-05, 09:35 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
We are doubting it. We found some structural damage that the FAA wants Cessna's direction for repair. Cessna has not been real fast responding. The FAA finally agreed that we could replace an entire angle piece about three feet long. Scheduling the repair is challenging. We also have all the cabin windows removed. The replacement ones should be coming in from LP Aeroplastics soon. When those are reinstalled we have to do the test flights for GPS certification, then replace the front engine.

Oh yes, Did I mention that we also have to work the annual in along with all this.

With all the changes, we will probably do the first few hours of flight here near Richmond.

We may well drive to Key West.
Unread 04-21-05, 06:30 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks. You'll need a little R&R at Key West!