Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-09-03, 10:49 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I HAVE THE HORTON KIT ON MY C MODEL NORMAL ASPIRATED. I FLEW BEFORE IT WAS INSTALLED AND I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT IT IS THE BEST MONEY I HAVE SPENT. I WOULD SUGGEST IT FOR ANY 337 NO MATTER IF YOU WERE FLYING FOR THE SO CALLED APPLICATIONS OR NOT. IT JUST FLAT IMPROVES THE HANDLING AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE AIRCRAFT. PUT IT ON AND FOR GET IT IS THERE OR USE IT FOR THE TIMES YOU NEED IT. THERE IS NO REDUCTION IN CRUISE SPEED.

I FLEW FOR 18 YEARS IN THE HIGH DESERT AND IN AND OUT OF A LOT OF SHORT, HIGH, UNIMPROVED FIELDS AND IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. HAD A 172 THAT WE PUT ONE ON AND IT REALLY CHANGED THE AIRPLANE. MADE IT MUCH SAFER AND EASIER TO FLY SLOW, IN AND OUT SHORT, AND DID NOT EFFECT THE CRUISE PERFORMANCE.

I THINK IT'S A NO BRAINER FOR MOST AIRCRAFT.
Unread 07-10-03, 09:03 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
VG's

Talked to a mechanic about VG's. His comments are
they are only glued on and there is a chance of loosing them. If a bunch go missing it will affect the areodynamics. Other concern was flying into ice and having them collect ice. How will it affect the aircraft performance. Any one have any experiance or comments

Frank
Unread 07-13-03, 09:54 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
The Scoop on VG's

As promised, I asked a guy with a normally aspirated 337 at our airport about his VG installation. He installed the Micro Aerodynamic VG's about 2 weeks ago.

He was very impressed with the VG kit. It came with a laser cut tape that is layed out on the wings, and the VG's are glued in place. The VG's came pre-painted to match his paint (I think this costs $100 extra). He said the kit was very complete, even included some bandaids in case he cut himself working on the VG's.

The VG's are supposed to be able to be installed in a day. He said it took 2 days for his to be installed.

The VG are very small (maybe 3/4" long and 1/4" high), not like the big ones installed under the rear cowl on my Horton kit. If one did come loose, I don't think it would hit the rear prop, and if it did, I can't see how it could do much damage. I've seen these on other twin Cessnas over the years, and I've never seen a missing one.

This guy hasn't fully checked out the performance improvements yet, but says that his initial reaction is that full flap stall speed is lowered by about 6-8 mph (about the same as my Horton kit provides, but at about half the price.)

Mark
Unread 07-14-03, 07:53 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
vg's

Frank

I would disagree with your mechanic

"a bunch go missing it will affect the areodynamics". These are put on with superglue or epoxy. Chances of losing them are minimal. Considering the qty I rather doubt it any loss of performance would be noticed.

"Other concern was flying into ice and having them collect ice"

Ice collects on leading edges or behind leading edges creating ridges; not near the chord of the wing or behind the chord. These "gates" (VG's) are designed to keep the airflow attached to the wing. I would expect during icing conditions the pilot would increase manouvering, approach and landing speeds accordingly with or without VG's ! With ice all theory goes out the window.......

Technology has come a long way especially in the layout and implementation of VG systems. Hard to find any modern aircraft design not using VG's ...... somewhere.

I am sure there are no limitiations on the STC.......

The only real difference between the Robertson and use of VG is the aileron authority and the # of sq ft of additional wing or flap area (to keep it simple).

Slow speed........... go get a helio courier (amazing) then do a turbine conversion with a 5 blade prop <G>.

Finally...... how many fly 6 knots below published airspeed with a horton system or any other ??????

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cook : 07-14-03 at 08:07 AM.
Unread 07-16-03, 01:24 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned two skymasters. Both with Horton STOL kits. Flown one skymaster without. I notice final approach is steeper than normal. Stall speed with full flaps is 52 MPH in my skymaster. I take my final @ 80-85 and flare 65-75. Works for me.
Unread 07-16-03, 10:55 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Micro Aero's VG's

Hi guys, when I inquired at Micro Aero about the VG's here is the response that I received, there were some on the old 727. Guy, the old 72 driver.

Guy: Boots and VGs work well together. In fact, the STC certification
airplane had boots, a model T337H. Picture of that airplane is attached.

FAA DER Test Pilot said that what he liked best about the VGs on the 337 is
that with the VGs the airplane told you what it was going to do in stalls
and other maneuvers. We put VGs on Bobby Unsers Aztec and he told us about
flying off of his airport at 7600' with 2300 feet of grass. He said, "Before
VGs I had to beg the Aztec off of the runway and with VGs it jumps off." So
when you install VGs on your 337 you should look for that improved
performance at altitude.

Instrument instructors tell us that with VGs the airplane is a more stable
instrument platform. And we have had many reports saying the find a
smoother ride in tubulence.

Kit is very complete and takes a day to install. With your order I need to
have serial number, N-number, shipping address. Any credit card and we ship