Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-25-03, 10:59 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Argus Moving Map... Progress Report

Sometime back we queried this wesbite for those who had installed or had some experience with the Argus 5000 or 7000 Moving map, or contemplating the same... response was pretty much nil. That's too bad because these instruments are a wonderful alternative to the EXPENSIVE Garmin/UPS boxes, utilizing some existing equipment to get the most bang for the buck. And, being a Commercial General RadioTelephone Licensee helps when working with a local avionics shop to do the grunt work... at least you get the install to look the way you want after conceptually planning things out, and things get put back together without things being hacked up. Anyway, we now have a 5000 Argus mounted in a 3ATI slot below the vacuum gage on the right side of the panel, and we're slotting the first two holes to the left of the radio stack to accomodate an Argus 7000 with Flight Planning Plus, removing the Tri-Nav C and the ADF head for the Collins 650, and also adding in the mix an RAA 7007-01 RMI adapter, which overlays both needles (ADF and VOR) on the moving map... which can be fed with any Long Range Nav system. In the interim we're going to be using the Apollo 618 Loran... mainly because it's already installed, plus feeding heading syncho information to the Argus from the King KCS55A HSI system for instantaneous heading updates.

Just thought we'd pass along a progess report of our experience so far for others possibly contemplating a similar move. The plan is to use the 7000 as the 'Master' and the 5000 as a slave... it gives the right seat PAX something to look at... plus, with the software the 5000 has on-board, we can add a BF Goodrich WX500 at a later date and the 5000 already has the software to display the indications. Meanwhile the 7000 can provide RMI functions for ADF and VOR if desired, along with moving maps on both units.

Costs being a factor, so we opted for a mint condition, used Argus 5000 for about $400 bucks, and a 7000 for about $1200. You'd be surprised at what these instruments can do when everything is considered. And the display is the sharpest we've seen on ANY moving map, including the new Garmin/UPS boxes. Wish we had a budget for the color Argus CE units which also have a few additional features, but for the time being we'll enjoy the back side of the technological curve at less cost and yet have the same functionality.

Installing a 5000 on the right side of the panel in a P337 posed a few small problems... such as making the bezel of the 5000 flush with the plastic overlay on our panel... but using three teflon 1/4" to 1/2" spacers between the connector plate and the tray standoffs at the back of the clamp tray makes things first class with a flush, or slightly protruding bezel. Secondly, because the Argus is a good 10.75 inches behind the panel, that necessitated our relocating the KG102A Gyro and its shock mounts... lots of room, just not utilized properly by the shop who did the original HSI install. When you first peer into the avionics hatch door, the first question is, do I really want to tackle this... it's TIGHT in there!

Mechanical considerations completed, we'll now fabricate the wiring harnesses to tie everything together. Surprisingly, the Argus units require a very low current source for 26vAC/400hz to energize the heading display, which is easily available from the KG102A Gyro system on pins "v" and "t" for LO and HI. The heading syncho data is taken from the second connector down on the KI525A HSI indicator with bootstrap (-01). And yes, there's more than enough to drive both the 7000 and 5000 in a master/slave set-up.

For the 7000 install in the first two radio holes, we're in the process of fabricating a .60" aircraft grade aluminum overlay sheet, approximately 3.75 X 7", cut to fit with screwdown holds and a cutout to accomodate the airline type clamp tray. By mounting the 7000 tray at the bottom of the two radio holes just above the STEC 50, there will be enough room at the very top where our Tri-Nav C used to be located to insert a switching/annunicator panel for a future contemplated IFR certified GPS installation.

We've included the 'before' pictures of the panel, both left and right hand sides and will follow-up with the 'after' install when finished up.

If any of you are contemplating an Argus moving map for either Loran or GPS, they are a fantastic addition to the cockpit because of all the information they display in one place! So impressed with the capabilities of this moving map, we've made arrangements with the factory to assist you in obtaining one of these Argus 7000 monochrome units with enhanced software and current database for under $1,300 with a fresh FAA 8130 tag. No user servicable parts inside, your mileage may vary, no warranty implied. Really, if you want to get the low-down on the Argus, drop me an e-mail. They're an excellent choice for the very limited panel space on the Skymaster.

SkyKing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n41fp panel-1.jpg (79.8 KB, 1108 views)
Unread 06-25-03, 11:03 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Right side of the panel...

Due to the inherent limitations of only one PIX per post, here's the right side of the panel showing the covered 3ATI hole where we mounted the Argus 5000. This is the 'before' shot.

SkyKing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n41fp panel-2.jpg (53.3 KB, 1139 views)
Unread 06-26-03, 08:44 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Argus map

Skyking,
Your panel & argus install looks good. Before I got my 337H, I had a 172 for 14 years. I also had a argus not a 5000 but the first argus in our area the 3000 with the S-Tec 50 next to it. I had both installed in 1989. Both I had very good luck with & would not fly with any thing else. My only complaint I had with the 3000 was the data base update was internal & had to go back to factory for upgrade, that was a 2 week time I had to wait to get it back. In 89' I payed $3600 for the Argus and $5400 for the S-Tec 50. One thing I miss on my 337H. I have the King MFD150 color map, is the Argus had the safe minamium altitude displayed on screen which was great for night fliing. The King does not. Goog luck on your new installation. Dale Campbell