Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-28-03, 07:08 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
73 p broken windoe interior piece

Howdy:

our 73 p now needs interior glass piece located behind the pilot. A headset attached to the bench hit the window and cracking the flimsy palstic. can i fly it pressurized? can i cut similar plastic. does anyone have a spec. How about sealing? thanks. J
Unread 05-28-03, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not clear from your message exactly what cracked ("interior glass piece" or "flimsy plastic" part?). If it is the plastic molding which goes around the windows, you can get a PMA unit at Plane Plastics -- 580-327-1565 -- www.planeplastics.com

Ernie
Unread 05-29-03, 07:38 AM

plexi-glass window

definitely plexi glass. probably find better quality at home depot. that bench seat is a poorly engineered. J
Unread 05-29-03, 09:24 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Side note: For those who are not familiar with the P model, the side windows on the cabin have a thick outer pane, which is part of the pressure vessel, and a thin (cheesy, chincy) plexi inner pane. I believe the purpose of the inner pane is to protect the outer pane from accidents just like the one that he described.

Maybe Fred or one of the other A&Ps on the site can comment with authority. My guess (but it is only a guess) is that you can fly the aircraft, and that you can fabricate your own inner piece (therefore giving you inner peace? sorry) from whatever similar material you can find. (Or should I say, your A&P can do so.) The inner piece has no part in sealing the cabin. On my airplane, the inner pieces are not even completely properly shaped to cover the window areas, there are small (1/16") gaps around many edges.

My two cents, like I said, we need a pro to comment here.

Kevin
Unread 05-31-03, 09:27 AM

plexi glass

clear or tinted. owen bell can provide. $145 a round. you can fly pressurized . clear packing tape is doing a good job for the time being. thanks . J
Unread 06-01-03, 08:49 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re inner pain

Skymaster

From my understanding the inner piece of plexiglass is used as a vapour or moisture barrier to avoid fogging and condensation. All pressurized aircraft have this feature. You can fabricate new from sheet plexiglass using a template and scroll saw. There is no structural requirments or safety requirements associated with this item.

It helps to use newer UV protection plexiglass as well as a light grey tint for the rear windows if you dwell in southern climates.

A 4X4 sheet should run about 25-30$ for good quality material. I had some of mine replaced when they put in a new interior. The foam material is available from cessna if yours has been degraded from age or the sun.

fyi

Bob