Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-20-05, 08:19 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear horn

1967 337B

On my return flight today . I took off pulled back to 24 squared.Pulled the gear and the gear horn sounded tru-out the retraction cycle. Ater the gear was up it stopped. Landing was fine with no problems. Any one ever have this happen???

Frank
Unread 02-20-05, 08:46 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Look for a broken wire near the gear warning switches on both engines throttle bodies. I don't know of anything that would cause your exact symptom, but a broken wire there which just happened to touch your engine during the retract period would sound the horn.

Normal engine viberation could have caused the wire to move away from a shorted position just as your gear retracted. If this is the case, you will probably have this problem intermittently until the wire is repaired.
Unread 02-21-05, 03:13 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
This happened to me once last week while headed from Iowa to the Florida Keys - although slightly different.

On takeoff - the gear were retracted, and when they were in transit, and stowed - they gear horn sounded... After they are completely up - the horn continued to sound. The only way I could silence them was to put the gear back down.

There is a micro switch on the throttle body that is designed to warn you if the throttles are pulled back without the gear in the down position. That micro switch can be sticky in really cold conditions like we had 8 to 10 days ago.... We returned, landed, and sprayed some contact cleaner and checked for proper adustment - then it was fine the rest of my trip to the keys and back...

According to a local mechanic - If you are out on a trip and it gives you trouble (while not recommended) you can remove the ground wire and it will silence the horn until you can have it serviced properly... But beware thay you are now flying without any warning should you accidently forget to put your gear down.

Best to just have the problem fixed and keep it there for it's intended purpose.
Unread 02-21-05, 04:28 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear Horn

Another place to look for your horn problem, is the sqwat switch on nose gear. I had a bind in nose gear yoke after my mechanic installed a new seal. The nose wheel did not extend all the way down, after take off, therefore the qwat switch did not transfer and the horn started blowing when I tried to put up gear. Vibration in the front end finally made the nose gear extend all the way and I could put up gear without that horn blasting. If you had wire problem to the sqwat switch it would do the same thing. Dale
Unread 03-01-05, 08:54 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
happen more that you think. pull the stall horn c/b and leave out and continue, also
it is nice to attach a parbolic mirrow that shows one main and the nose wheel. happen last week comming back from the yuma mcas airshow, not concerned as it goes into annual end of month, then i'll recheck squat and micro switches. this problems is sometimes intermittient. went south sun to island and all was well, fo figure
Unread 03-27-05, 04:11 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
THose micro-switches on the throttle cams are really squirelly, so you might check those if you havn'te already found and fixed the problem. Mine was acting up and making a weird sound that was so strangely intermittent that for quite a while no one could tell what it really was. Finally I took it up with a mechanic aboard. At only that certain speed and configuration where this occured, he fished around in the cabing, finally crawled under the panel, and found that the weird sound was the gear horn! Just re-soldering the wires on the micro-switch fixed everything. This drove me nuts for about a month until we finallly found it as described.