Unread 01-18-05, 03:09 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wondering...

What was the status of the flap cables..... guy
Unread 01-18-05, 03:22 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Speculation

Pat,

What isn't known is 'WHO' flew the plane from Camarillo, California to Lakeland, Florida in the week or two prior to the accident... that will obviously be one of the key pieces of information leading into NTSB's investigation. Let's wait and see what the preliminary data shows before assailing the pilot(s). I'm sure NTSB will be able to determine whether both engines were turning, which will also be key.

SkyKing
Unread 01-28-05, 12:51 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
NTSB Preliminary - N42WA

From the read on this and other info, it sounds like they were doing a normal takeoff, leveled off briefly, and then pitched the airplane up for max climb... but ended up in an accelerated stall and no room for recover. Just my supposition, but one wonders if they were grandstanding the airplane for on-lookers, or maybe the pilot trying to impress the passenger. It wouldn't be the first time. The sequence just doesn't sound like a seat-track problem as some have thought.

SkyKing

NTSB Identification: MIA05FA050
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, January 14, 2005 in Lakeland, FL
Aircraft: Cessna T337G, registration: N42WA
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On January 14, 2005, about 1537 eastern standard time, a Cessna T337G, N42WA, registered to Aerolease of America, Inc., leased to a private individual, crashed shortly after takeoff onto runway 27 at the Lakeland Linder Regional Airport, Lakeland, Florida. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time, and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight from the Lakeland Linder Regional Airport, Lakeland, Florida, to Tallahassee Regional Airport, Tallahassee, Florida. The airplane was destroyed by a postcrash fire and the airline transport-rated pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.

According to the local controller of the Lakeland Linder Regional Air Traffic Control Tower, the flight was cleared to takeoff from runway 27 and to climb runway heading. He did not observe the point of rotation, but reported the airplane was in a normal climb attitude when the flight was airborne approximately 1,000 feet down the runway. The flight continued and when it was approximately 500 feet more down the length of the runway, he observed the airplane pitch up to between an estimated 30-45 degrees, then leveled off at an estimated altitude of between 150-200 feet above ground level. At that time the flight was abeam runway 27 and taxiway "B." Approximately 5 seconds later, the wings were noted to rock up and down and the airplane drifted north of the north edge of the runway. The airplane rolled nose and left wing low, then appeared to level off before impacting the ground while in a slight nose up and left wing low attitude; the airplane caught fire 20 seconds later. He did not hear any unusual engine sounds during the flight and could not determine if the engines were run-up before departure. Both engines' rpm sounded to be synchronized during the short duration flight. There was no distress call made by the pilot of the airplane.

Another witness reported seeing the airplane in a steep nose-up attitude after becoming airborne. The witness reported the airplane then rolled left and impacted the ground while in a slight nose-up and left wing low attitude. An individual who owns a Cessna 337 airplane and only heard the accident flight reported hearing both engines operating at what he thought was full power.
Unread 01-28-05, 01:09 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not judging the pilot or plane, but if that was the case, I call that BAT21 syndrome... We will probably never know what REALLY happened, but it can serve as a reminder to all of us that everything is always better when done in moderation..... Moderate climb attitude, moderate speed changes, moderate turn rates.... It's not a jet fighter - no use flying it like one.

Did they make any mention of how much time in type the pilot had? Had he had any recent transition training on 337's? Unless he had some prior logged 336/337 experience, it would hardly have been more than a few hours if it was in fact delivered to them earlier that week on Wednesday as we read in the article...

Fly safe! - P
Unread 01-28-05, 02:06 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Seat track......

I don't know how many of you ever had a seat track ratchet back... I did on a Douglass DC 9 several years ago. And I remember it well, it still gives me shivers. I remember saying "YOU GOT IT". And I went back to the end of the seat rail... If it were not for an able and READY copilot I may not be writing this message. As you know there is NOTHING to hold on to but the control wheel and the throttles. If the seat starts to go back and no one else is there who knows how to take over... and if it's trimed a bit more nose up than it should have been... it's all over... I can also remember many years ago when the seat tracks started to fail and I was instructing in the Cessna single engine line we told the students to check the seat for security AND place there first two fingers over the friction control on the throttle in the event the seat failed. We don't have that on the 337's and there fore it's of GREAT importance to make sure the seat is LOCKED. AND lets give this guy the benifit of the doubt.. guy....
Unread 01-28-05, 04:33 PM
Peyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point
Saf-T-Stop Seat Rail Lock

There is an FAA/PMA approved rail mounted safety stop available that will prevent the possibllity of this sliding seat problem. Commonly available from a number of supply houses. Chief Aircraft (800-447-3408) at www.cheifaircraft.com list it as PN:ATI-8701 for approx. $38 per pair.

Truthfully, I assumed that most folks knew about this product but if you don't have them installed ORDER A PAIR TODAY!! I have flown for years with them installed on the pilot side rails. Now I see the possiblity that a sliding co-pilot seat might be a hazzard if the occupant naturally grabbed the yoke. Just confirms why we need this forum...there's always more to learn from each other.
Unread 01-28-05, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe Peyton's link for Chief Aircraft above is wrong and will dump you on a website trying to steer you elsewhere. The proper URL is www.chiefaircraft.com and here's the page describing the item:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...tRailStop.html

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 01-28-05 at 05:36 PM.
Unread 11-04-06, 09:49 AM
Administrator

NTSB Releases Probable Cause Report

The NTSB found that the aircraft had exhibited, in 3 prior flights that day, aggressive pitch-up behavior due to a pitch-control malfunction, and no one requested inspection or maintenance of the problem. More in today's edition of www.aero-news.net

Ernie
Unread 11-06-06, 05:46 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Seat Slip

When my 80-H was in for annual this year it failed the track test, so I had the pilot side tracks replaced. Later when I was underneath the seat trying to hook up my fire-extinguisher I noticed that only one pin was locked in the track and the other was off by 1/2 of a hole. Very strange ! as it was perfect during the reinstall of the seats.

I had thus been flying it with one pin out of the track hole, but didn't know it, as it appeard to lock in place while in the seat.

After removal of the seat I found that one of the pins in the pivot point of the seat back had sheared. So when the seat back was cranked back a bit, it torqued the latch pins out of parallel allignment.

Put in a new pin, and it works perfectly
Unread 08-23-07, 09:12 PM

DashTrash is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I found it searching for this tail number.

I used to fly 42WA for an on-demand freight hauler. We had this airplane, and one other A model. 42WA was the first one the company had. Lat I checked, I logged around 300 hours in that airplane.

When we started operations, the airplane was well maintained and a blast to fly. Not so much towards the end. In fact, the airplane was grounded by the Feds, then ferried to another airport for the annual. It was repo'd by Aerolease while there since my company had stopped making the payments.

If anyone has any pictures of it, I'd love to have a copy. That's one of the few airplanes I've flown that I don't have any.
Unread 08-24-07, 02:46 PM
Administrator

This thread has two pages. On the first page, in a message dated 01/18/05, is a picture of the aircraft.

Ernie
Unread 07-12-11, 10:10 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Update on Lakeland Crash

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...an-Go-Forward-

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-02-12, 10:03 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Supreme Court will not hear Case

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=htt..._-VKU8LjV7lKAw