Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-11-16, 04:26 AM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Rear Engine Mounting

Guys

Can you assist me with a question I have regarding a single washer installation on the rear engine mounting bolt.

Looking at the attached picture, in detail "A" it shows a washer (item 7 on the illustration) mounted between the Lord mount and actual engine mount.

On my aircraft this was not there when we removed the rear engine, also the parts book only says 1 is required total.

Now the new engine is installed with all new mounts, nuts, bolts etc. My question is why would the parts book only stipulate 1 washer to be fitted to this location and not on the 3 other mounts?

In the parts book it always refers to multiples when looking at bolts nuts etc for the rear engine mounting, just not this washer.

Before I tension the rear engine mounts, I would like to understand if this single washer is installed on other 337's (non turbo) if so why only 1 washer on the right hand side rear mount. As mentioned it was not originally there when we removed the engine which was factory installed when new.

Appologies for the odd question, I did buy 4 of these washers at $22 each just in case, the only thing left on the rear installation that I need to clarify.

Save
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.JPG
Views:	913
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	1652  

Last edited by SkyMac : 04-11-16 at 09:29 PM.
Unread 04-11-16, 08:28 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Dave
What parts book do are you using? I thought you had a G model? The photo shows 337 A Turbo

On your question, I will be back on Thursday to look at my records.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-11-16, 09:36 PM

Smile

Hi Herb

Just turned the photo up the right way, the picture was taken from the current parts manual for a 1974 337G. Many of the photo's used in the parts book are generic it seems.

The photo is of a non turbo model, in my parts book all diagrams related to turbo models are on the following pages after the non turbo engines.

From what I can see in the service manual on engine installation, it also does not reference the single washer, or am I missing something.

Herb, thanks for coming back to me.

Dave
Unread 04-14-16, 10:03 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Dave

This photo is from the Cessna 337 Series 1974 thru 1980 Service Manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-04-14 22.01.30.png
Views:	900
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1655  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-14-16, 11:42 PM

Hi Herb

Thanks for this, your right the service manual shows the rear engine mounting and highlights the washer as item 6 in this diagram and comments broadly on typical 4 mount.

The parts book consistently refers to the number of each item for the engine installation, 4 bolts, 4 nuts, 4 spring washers, 4 engine mount sets etc. In the case of item 6 in this diagram it only says 1 item in total. And given mine were not there when we removed the engine, my reason to question the parts book.

I have 4 new washers, I will put them on tomorrow, keen to finish this last task and put the cowls on - job done! Then ready the bird for CASA CoA.

As always Herb, thanks for taking the time. Very much appreciated.

Dave