Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-30-20, 06:02 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Flying & the Cost of Fireworks

I live in a semi-rural area where virtually all fireworks are legal. There are stands set up everywhere selling them, often with people waiting in line to buy!

My kids love fireworks, so I usually spend $50 or so for them to light off, which to me, is a little excessive. I can only imagine my dad's look if I asked him for "fireworks money" - I'd be lucky to get enough to buy a pack of bottle rockets.

But today, people are spending what I consider insane amounts of money. Several folks around me have posted picks of their purchases, often after spending $500 or more!

My kids think I'm cheap because I won't go $100 this year. They brag that so-an-so's dad spent $350, why don't you?

The air is so thick with fireworks on NYE, we often sit on the roof for a fantastic 360 degree fireworks show! So I really don't feel the need to add to it!

So what are you guys spending on fireworks this year?

Or you could spend the money on avgas, and go watch some firework shows from the air! I've done it on several occasions and always had a blast, no pun intended. Just stay outside (or above) the fireworks box, the FAA can give you the exact dimensions.
Unread 12-30-20, 09:51 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
We have horses and live rurally. So we actively discourage fireworks cuz they make the ponies frantic. So, to answer your question: $0.00
Unread 12-31-20, 11:58 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Fire Works

My life's spending on fireworks = $0 Enjoy watching, but will not spend a dime on them when you can see amazing free shows. Much prefer to spend on avgas and good Texas BBQ.
Unread 01-01-21, 06:22 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I live on a ranch, so none. They start grass and brush fires. We do shoot a lot, and most of us have rifle ranges, so we will let them rip!

The best display I ever saw was right before I left for the Army. I was at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, and just off the bulkhead on the bay was a large barge loaded with them. The show started, and then I notice three sailors dive into the bay, swimming frantically towards us. Sure enough, everything on the barge went up with a BOOM. It was awesome! Everything I heard over the next three years, even the heaviest, could not compare what happened on that barge.

The US Army is heavy at Corpus; it has always had a helicopter overhaul depot since 1961. It even had fixed-wing in the early years. Even though it was night, an AH-1 Cobra had just completed a flight demonstration and was winding down on the distant ramp. He immediately lifted off for the sailors, stuff flying everywhere off that barge, but I'm sure easier than coming off a firebase under attack. He hovered over them, they latched onto the skids, and he moved them over to the bulkhead with the Cobra right on the water. It was impressive, those big blades beating the air into submission.
Unread 01-02-21, 12:43 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Wound up spending $100 because the weather was terrible, flying was not an option. Bought 12 5" mortar shells, roman candles, bottle rockets, and more. It was fun watching my kids light off fireworks in the sleet and rain!

At midnight, even though the ceiling was 100 feet with sleet and drizzle, there were fireworks going off in all directions! A little crappy weather won't keep Texans from their fireworks! LOL!