Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-12-04, 05:41 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Where to go and stay in Michigan or Wisc

The Hurricanes look like they could wash out our vacation starting a week from Friday to Flordia.

Since a number of you guys live up in Michigan, could you recommend some places to stay for the week.

It would be 5 of us, 2 adults and three children 9. 14 and 15.

We have thought about Mackiona Island, but figured it would be booked.

Any thoughts would be appreciated from any and all as to a great place to go and spend a week.

Yes we will be flying the Skymaster.

Thanks in advance for your input.....

Rick
Unread 08-12-04, 09:34 PM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Rick
You can get a room at Mackinaw City which would be 1/2 the price of the Island. Take the ferry to the island. You can land at
KSLH Cheboygan and rent a car there but call in advance. If the weather is bad go to KPLN they have an ILS.
There are no motorized vhehicles on the Island. If you rent the car there are plenty of places to see in the area
Send me an email to kbrennan@acordinc.com I'll call you if you wish
Kevin Brennan
Unread 08-12-04, 10:08 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
ANOTHER NICE AREA IS TRAVERSE CITY AND PETOSKY / HARBOR SPRINGS. YOU CAN TAKE A DAY TRIP TO MACKINAC ISLAND FROM PETOSKY. LOTS TO DO, THE LAKE, SAND DUNES, GOLF, SHOP AND BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

IF YOU COME UP TO NORTHERN MI YOU NEED TO CROSS THE BRIDGE. FIVE MILES LONG. IT'S NEAT. THERE IS A GREAT LITTLE MUSEUM ABOUT HOW THEY BUILT THE BRIDGE IN MACKINAC CITY. WE HAVE SOME GREAT FLY-INS COMING UP TOO.
Unread 08-12-04, 11:40 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
As a theoretically unbiased non-Michigan resident, I'd heartily recommend a trip to Mackinnac Island (pronounced Mackinaw, if you did not already know). Even if you stay off island, you can fly to the island for the day (unless something has changed recently). Bicycling around the island is great. The Grand Hotel (the hotel used for the movie Somewhere In Time, if you ever saw that) is great. My wife and I had a great time. It was in the mid-eighties, so things could be different now.

As a child, I loved Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI. For more, see this web site http://www.hfmgv.org/ . I have not been there as an adult, it may be a tourist trap, or maybe have changed a lot, but it was a BIG highlight of my childhood.

Of course, I liked visiting the Kellogs factory in Battle Creek, so you see how I am (or was). For more info on that, and other sites in MI, see this Michigan travel site: http://www.travel.michigan.org/detail.asp?p=G15930.

Enjoy,

Kevin
Unread 08-13-04, 09:41 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Also, the new Kalamazoo Air Zoo is definitely worth a stop.
Yes, you can fly into MCD, for the day. It's kind of cool, that they call a taxi, and it is a horse drawn carriage. There are lots of neat hotels there, but none are like a Holiday Inn, more like a bed-breakfast, except for the Grand, which truly is Grand.

Henry Ford Museum / GreenField village is still great, just not possible to fly to. You would have to go to YIP or DET and rent a car.

Oh, and if you are here on August 21, there is a great fly-in at 4N0. For more fly in information (Michigan has a lot of them, and the information is well organized, unlike a lot of states) go to Michigan Fly In