Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-26-17, 09:28 AM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
There are SO many factors to look at when deciding upon an aircraft that we can’t even scratch the surface of them here. The later P210 model is a beautiful example of a pressurized FIKI single but I like the engine out rate of climb better in the Skymaster. The 414A is a phenomenal twin but you will need a boatload of multi time to get affordable insurance.
Any pressurized airplane will be expensive to insure, including the P337. I wasn't recommending the P210 for this OP, just saying what I did since someone asked. If I was in his situation, I would try really hard to find a way to make turbine equipment work. My guess is the one engine out climb rate in most piston twins with accumulated ice would be near zero, and possibly negative. I am just trying to add some factors for the OP consider based on my experience. The P337 would not be a good choice for his proposed mission based on that experience. I went down the P337 road, didn't work for me in the part of the world I live in. He is saying his environment is similar. Others may and can choose differently.
Unread 12-26-17, 09:41 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
The 340 is a great plane for the mission you describe. I put about 200-250 hrs/yr on mine. It has a higher capital cost but similar ongoing maintenance costs to a tricked out P337. Fuel burn is higher for slightly more speed and a *lot* more payload and cabin space.

I fly in ice and in the mountains on a regular basis and the ability to climb through lower layers at 1500ft/min or more is a great asset. My MEAs are lower than yours so I stay under the high icing layers in the spring and fall.

Single engine work in the 340 isn't bad. With VGs and strakes installed, I'm never in the air at speeds below Vmc. Insurance is available for a very low time multi pilot if you bring along an instructor for your first few hours (it's a good idea even without the insurance requirement.)

Note that only the 1977 and later model 340s are FIKI.

PM me for more info on the 340.

Last edited by JimC : 12-26-17 at 04:33 PM.
Unread 12-26-17, 03:44 PM

Skywalker is on a distinguished road
Cessna 340 vs SkyMaster

Hello Jim C
pls give me your mail or pls mail me at skywalkerbellagio@gmail.com
to discuss C340 i am highly intrested
thanks
Dennis
Unread 12-27-17, 07:07 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P337g

I have a 1975 P337G with boots. I owned this plane for 20 years and while I agree that it is not rated for known icing, the deice equipment got me out of trouble several times. The plane itself will fly quite well with a load of ice on it. But that is something you do not want to look to do. If you can find a good P model with deice equipment, don't be afraid of it. As for winglets go, I don't recommend them. Herb had them on his plane and took them off. That is another subject and you should contact Herb regarding them. In addition to the deice equipment on my plane, I also have engine inter coolers that produces a bit more power from the engines.

Good plane hunting!
Jerry N34EC.
Unread 12-28-17, 07:31 AM

Skywalker is on a distinguished road
Hi Jerry
its good to hear your opinion, i would really apreciate ,if other operators /owners of P337 Can guide and advise me In my purchase,as you guys know .these planes are hard to sell and have very low resale value ;-(( and would really like to make;well informed purchase;
Wing lets are out of equation, i will just put the Horton and VG.
and i also think, intercoolers are must for high altitudes flying.
Regards
Dennis