Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-28-22, 06:14 PM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
Recessed Armrest...Who Wants One?

Who would like a recessed arm rest like the one pictured, instead of the kind that sticks out from the sidewall and is a real pain? I’m told the recessed arm rests were featured in the 1973 and 1974 Pressurized Skymasters, but not in the later years.

I’ve been communicating with Owen Bell, of Skymaster Mods and Parts, who says he can do a run of a minimum of 10 for $395 each. That is $100 cheaper than the price I was quoted for one. They will be dimensionally identical to the one he has in his 1973 Skymaster, and will be made of fiberglass.

The part does not include the pad.

You can have any color you like, as long as it’s black or white. Paint to match your interior.

I don’t want to collect any money, so if enough people are interested, I’ll get ordering details and you’ll send money directly to Skymaster Mods.

Since the run has to be done as a group, please only respond if you’re ready to buy immediately, not if you’re somewhat interested, want one for Christmas or maybe some time in the distant future.

Who’s in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skymaster Armrest_1.jpg (417.7 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by Multimotor : 08-28-22 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add picture
Unread 08-30-22, 11:28 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
I'd pass at $395. More like $250 maybe. Its not a hard part to make. The Ukranian guy who makes parts said he could do 10 units for $2000, or $200 each. He just needs the dimensions. If someone that has the recessed armrest would simply provide us the dimensions, I can pass them on to him for a prototype.

Kim Geyer says we could make it ourselves out of Kydex. Not a bad idea either, again, just need a form for it.

My understanding is that these are installed in 210's as well. Maybe reach out to that owner group and see who's interested. LOTS more airframes than we have!

I wonder why Cessna stopped offering this? It seems far superior to the stubby little armrest that sticks out and pokes you in the ribs.

Last edited by mshac : 10-11-22 at 10:15 PM.
Unread 08-30-22, 12:16 PM

bjornfb is on a distinguished road
Multi motor,
I am ready to buy immediately, so please add me to the list.

Cheers,
-Bjorn
Unread 08-30-22, 09:36 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you guys looked at vantage plane plastics?
Unread 08-30-22, 10:09 PM

$395, not $495.

However, nobody has rogered up as having one to measure. Besides, I’d rather keep my money on this continent, if I can. Plus, the span of control is much shorter dealing with Owen. If something isn’t right, we can at least go visit him if necessary. Not so with someone in Ukraine, and who knows, he could receive all the money, and the next day be issued an AK-47 and be sent to defend Kiev.

Yep, that’s the problem…there needs to be a form, regardless of the material. Is someone going to volunteer to make a form for free?

I looked at a bunch of 210 and P210 interior pictures, and that’s a dry hole. Looking at P Skymaster pictures, I noticed that not all 1974 models had the recessed armrests, so that really limits availability of candidates for copying.

Some bean counter probably discovered that the company could save a few bucks by using the armrest from another airplane and having parts commonality.

Owen Bell is the only one we can rely on right now to have an OEM part to copy. I’d rather not wait around for months and months only to find out it’s not going to happen.
Unread 08-30-22, 10:13 PM

Vantage Plane Plastics looks like a great resource, thanks.

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane/cessnatwin/337.html

The good news is, they do have a recessed armrest. The bad news is, it's for the left side center row. So close!

We'd still need a buck or specific dimensions to give them so they could provide a setup and production quote.
Unread 08-30-22, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornfb View Post
Multi motor,
I am ready to buy immediately, so please add me to the list.

Cheers,
-Bjorn
Only 8 more to go!
Unread 10-11-22, 10:10 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
So I've been able to procure an OEM Cessna recessed arm rest. See the attached photo.

I will use it as a model and create identical copies either with Kydex as Kim Geyer suggested, or I will let my friend in Ukraine make them from fiberglass.

Whatever is least expensive will be the route I go. I can assure you the final price will be far less than $395.

I don't need any prepayments, I will finance this little venture on my own.

As soon as I have it worked out, I'll post final pricing.

Thanks to all who are interested in this.

PS - I will also be marketing it to the 210 crowd. Much larger market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg azrmrest.jpg (753.9 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by mshac : 10-11-22 at 10:13 PM.
Unread 10-13-22, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
So I've been able to procure an OEM Cessna recessed arm rest. See the attached photo.

I will use it as a model and create identical copies either with Kydex as Kim Geyer suggested, or I will let my friend in Ukraine make them from fiberglass.

Whatever is least expensive will be the route I go. I can assure you the final price will be far less than $395.

I don't need any prepayments, I will finance this little venture on my own.

As soon as I have it worked out, I'll post final pricing.

Thanks to all who are interested in this.

PS - I will also be marketing it to the 210 crowd. Much larger market.
Excellent! Thanks for getting this done.
Unread 06-28-23, 06:19 AM

paul.j is on a distinguished road
I have the left and right rests for the middle seats. If someone wanted to make molds from mine they could. only problem is mine are covered in a leather. I would love to have a resented armrest for the pilot seat too. just let me know.