Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-24-23, 11:29 PM

BrianSayler is on a distinguished road
Hello, new to the forum

Hello all. My name is Brian, as you can see. I'm a 46 year old police officer in Pennsylvania, USA.

I'm currently in ground school for Private Pilot. I haven't actually started the flight training yet, I plan to finish ground school and save some money before starting the flying in the summer months.

I'm here because I just really dig the 337. I can't say exactly why, I just think it's a fascinating airplane.

At the small airport where I will be doing my training, there is a 337 sitting in the grass. It looks like it hasn't flown in quite a while, sadly. It isn't in bad shape, but it has old wasp nests in the vents and black mold under the wings. I looked it up on the FAA website and it isn't currently registered (registration expired at the end of 2022, but it clearly has been sitting idle for longer than that). It isn't hangered. :-\

Equally sadly, I'm never going to be able to afford a 337. In fact, I doubt I'll ever be able to afford any plane, unless I partner with someone. Nonetheless, I do like the 337 so I'm here to chat with people about it.

Cheers,
Brian
Unread 03-25-23, 09:35 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Hi Brian, welcome to the Forum, and thank you for your service! I admire you guys for the job you do in these trying times.

Just so you know, there are also two or three 337/Skymaster/O2 groups on Facebook that might interest you also.

You stay safe out there!

Rick
Unread 03-27-23, 12:21 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Best wishes on getting your PPL!

You CAN afford an airplane if you really want one. Just a matter of which one.

Give us the tail number and maybe some pics of that derelict 337, and we can probably tell you more about it.

Skymaster owners are a pretty tight-knit group, you'll find. We would enjoy having you join us. There may be a 337 owner near you who would be happy to give you a ride!
Unread 03-27-23, 02:48 PM

I spoke with someone recently who said the plane flew in about 5 years ago and has sat ever since. Looking in the window, it doesn't appear to have any modern avionics, it's all steam gauges. It's last registration, which expired at the end of last year, was to a heating/cooling company in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20230327_144408.jpg (428.6 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20230327_144441.jpg (388.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20230327_144506.jpg (393.1 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20230327_144525.jpg (173.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20230327_144540.jpg (282.9 KB, 286 views)
Unread 03-27-23, 02:56 PM

The pics don't look that bad at all. Needs an accumulator repair to keep the gear doors up, but nothing else is obviously wrong.

When I was a young pilot looking for any and all flying time, I was a ferry pilot. I ferried far scarier looking airplanes than that one.

I once ferried a Twin Bonanza after it was sitting on a south Florida ramp for 7 years in the salty air. Me and an A&P got it running in about a day, and it actually was one of the nicest flying twins I've ever had the pleasure to operate. I called it the Land-O-Matic because it was almost impossible to make a bad landing in it.

The Skymaster definitely is NOT a Land-O-Matic!

You did right by asking around the airport to see what is known about the plane. Why not reach out to the registered owner and explain your situation? He may be wiling to work with you on getting it back into annual inspection. Maybe he'd entertain a partnership? The answer is always NO if you don't ask.

Last edited by mshac : 03-27-23 at 02:59 PM.
Unread 04-01-23, 12:25 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Another option from an airport owner

I have seen this more than once at Potomac Airfield, which I own; a privately-owned public use airport next to Washington DC (www.potomac-airfield.com).

It may be the principal owner is deceased, lost their medical, does not know what to do with the aircraft, but remains so attached to it they are unable to part with it. Or maybe dealing with other financial medical or personal crisis and don't have the bandwidth to resolve it. Maybe just not using the airplane, they skipped one annual, then another, then another, and now are fearful of what it might cost to take through the next annual, etc. Maybe clouded title, missing logs, etc.

So the airplane sits.

Technically, based on LOCAL codes, anything left abandoned on a commercial property for not very long (defined by local state or county law) is subject to being impounded / sold for outstanding storage. Self-storage places deal with this all the time. Check your local laws.

On the rare occasion this happens at Potomac, I threaten to liquidate for storage, which I can legally do, but also present them some solutions at the same time. That always works, and the owners are always thrilled that I have finally given them incentive AND A SOLUTION or two or three.

If the airport has not been paid for storage, there will be accumulated charges. The airport owner should know who brought it in, who WAS or IS paying for storage, and what that balance may be.

--
FIND THE OWNER, IF ANY
You have a few decent civilized paths to pursue. The owner, or lack thereof has a problem, and you can offer some fair and equitable solutions.

I would mail a registered letter to the address of the owner of record and see if it gets delivered, and then see if you get any reply. Save your copies of that action. Maybe some google searching too. If the address is within striking distance, go visit the owners address and knock on the door.

There may be an owner or widow who doesn't have any idea what to do, etc.

DETERMINE OUTSTANDING UNPAID BALANCE
Approach the airport and find out if the storage account is overdue, or who is paying it, or last did, or no longer is, and what that balance may be. There may be a lien filed, or there may not. A lien at least identifies all the related parties.

DETERMINE VALUE
If you CAN track down the owner in distress, there are sort of two ways to value an airplane.

AS IS, WHERE IS
One is, 'as is,' based on what equivalent condition aircraft sell for. Prices of clean aircraft have risen so far that even dogs can be rehabilitated economically. As a result, most dogs have been redone, so the number of bottom-end aircraft has been mostly cleaned out. The good news is that even a dog CAN be rehabbed over time. I have seen aircraft at Potomac I thought would never fly, bought and flown out.

TOP MARKET MINUS COST
Another evaluation is what it would be worth if all straightened out, MINUS (discounted for) whatever needs to be straightened out to get it to that prime condition.

What would it be worth with overhauled or low time engines, complete logs, sexy avionics, 9 or 10 paint and interior, minus the costs of getting it there.

BOTTOM
At the bottom end, you resolve the storage charges with the airport, 'as is' 'wherre is'.

As an airport owner myself I never want to really foreclose for storage, not only for moral and ethical reasons, uncomfortable with taking advantage of someone's distress, but also because setting my own foreclosure price for storage would be somewhat dubious. But that value CAN be defined reasonably for any independent third party to resolve.

Usually, to liquidate for unpaid storage the airport must post a public notice of auction somewhere. That can be a local paper, or online, or whatever. Keep a copy of that public notice.

At this bottom end, to fairly compensate the owner/widow IF they exist, you can even put extra funds in escrow for some reasonable time, based on the condition 'as is,' should the owner ever appear.

LIENHOLDER
The owner may have died and a bank is sitting on an unpaid loan. Do a title search with AOPA, or insured aircraft title and see if any outstanding liens.

Another thing that happens is, aircraft have liens outstanding from banks that are long gone, so getting clear title can be difficult. But there are ways to resolve that too, just more complicated, and to be subtracted from the value of the aircraft 'as is,' 'where is.'

SUMMARY
Identify outstanding balances with airport, as well as who paid last, with airport.
Make every reasonable effort to reach the owner
Determine unknowns - missing logs, condition, liens, etc
Resolve either through owner and resulotion, OR through liquidation for unpaid storage
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 04-05-23, 06:21 PM

Update - it moved!

I drove by the airport today and noticed the 337 I posted about had moved! It was parked next to a maintenance hangar. I stopped by to ask about it.

A guy in the maintenance hangar said he thought it might have been sold, but he didn't know anything else (price, buyer, etc).

Someone's ears must have been ringing!
Unread 04-06-23, 10:42 AM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
This aircraft just had its registration renewed on 3/21/2023 in the name of Wyoming Valley Air, LLC of Old Forge, Pennsylvania. So it does not seem to be the abandoned, unloved derelict as it might at first appear to be.
Unread 04-07-23, 01:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
This aircraft just had its registration renewed on 3/21/2023 in the name of Wyoming Valley Air, LLC of Old Forge, Pennsylvania. So it does not seem to be the abandoned, unloved derelict as it might at first appear to be.
At least not anymore! Glad to know another Skymaster may be flying again soon.

Brian, keep us updated on what happens. Best wishes on getting your pilot's license!

Last edited by mshac : 04-07-23 at 01:05 PM.
Unread 04-18-23, 09:05 PM

Thoughts on this?

Check this out, folks, and tell me what you think.

It's not a 337, but seems interesting. Also seems like a bargain compared to what's out there these days on some sites.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...-type=aircraft
Unread 04-18-23, 09:06 PM

Here's a retractable gear Mooney for $32K, in annual even. Panel is old-school but well-equipped for IFR: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/av...611671957.html
Name:  01111_l6kXHj7KHkR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by mshac : 04-18-23 at 09:13 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: