Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Parts For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-11-02, 09:43 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Deiced 1978 Prop for sale

Contributed via email from Scott Smith:

I still have that Skymaster prop that I'd like to move. Again, it's a newer style 1978, de-iced McCauley front prop. Model No. D2AF34C308. It was factory equipment on T-337 G & H models and P-337 H. I don't have any logs for it, but it is very apparent that it has not been used since it was professionally overhauled. The de-ice boots and wires look new as does the entire prop.

United Propeller Technologies said it was worth $10,500+ new, and $7000 - $8100 refurbished as is. Since I don't have the logs, they said sell it for $5000, and I'll make a little and some happy Skymaster owner will get the deal of their life!

Steve Stavrakakis
"Tribute to the American Vet" & "Wild Thing" Airshows
P.O. Box 130
Salida, CA 95368
209-571-9949 fax 9955
wildthingss@aol.com
Unread 12-12-02, 09:03 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Might look pretty, but....

with out some kind of a history I would think it would have to go to a O/H Prop shop to verify its condition. It could be just spruced up... and in need of a O/H and may be out of limits...My humble opinion....Guy, old72driver....
Unread 02-13-03, 03:52 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Not a good deal!

After inquiring about this "nice" propeller, we find there are no yellow tags, no 8130's, in fact, no paper work whatsoever... and that included no logbook either! SUre, it may look "nice" on the outside, and we were also sent the pictures... but know this: anyone who would attempt to 'sell' you a part for an aircraft that has NO known history, other than some story or other that the good doctor who owned it, who is now deceased, had it for a spare (what for, was the good doctor planning on doing a gear-up?), you can be assured that things are not what they appear.

The moral of the story is this: We offered $1,500... the seller kept saying it was worth $5,000 based on what some high-priced prop shop told him (NOT!!), and in the end he said he'd take $2,000. Wouldn't you think the seller, if he was completely on the up and up, simply say, okay, I'll split the difference, or at the least tell you up front what he wanted for it? Not in this case. It's the old story of a fool and his money soon parteth company. No way! NO PAPERWORK... NO MONEY... IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

Since this guy bought it from the deceased doctor's wife who was in mourning at the time, we can almost imagine what the deal was... and so can you. You know the thinking, "buy cheap and sell high". Again, without any paperwork on something like this, it's best to take a walk and cool off, lest you fork over some hard-earned bucks and later find out who the fool really is. It's best to work with what you've got, that you know the history on, and when the time ever comes that you need a new prop or blades, contact McCauley or a reputable prop shop.

BTW, a very reputable prop shop we talked with said the most they'd pay for a serviceable de-iced prop with logs is $2K. And they will sell an overhauled de-iced prop, zero-timed, with logs and a fresh 8130 for around $4,500.

Just like with women, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Only in this case, a "nice" prop might not have the beauty you think it does.

SkyKing
Unread 02-13-03, 03:56 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
"Nice" prop... but No thanks!

In case it's not apparent... now you know why this guy "still" has the Skymaster prop. Let him be the one to take it to a prop shop for an overhaul and ceritification... and then watch the tune change.

Again... NO PAPERWORK... NO MONEY!

SkyKing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: