Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-11-15, 09:39 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
battery

My battery is about 3 yrs old. it amazes me that mechanics affirm that 3-4 yrs is a long time for an aircraft battery.

I was going to buy a replacement at Sun N Fun, but the Gil rep of all people talked me out of it. Apparently they have some new technology for their batteries, and they were selling like hotcakes, but the replacement for the G242 (one mine would use) had not been approved yet with the new technology. He was expecting in a few months (which would be about now)...

So:
1) Is 2-4 yrs (or less) what others get out of their batteries. if more time, are you doing anything special to extend life? I still want it relaible when I walk out and go fly, and a battery minder is not practical, but I fly multiple times per month (unless my exhaust is off, see other post .
2) What brand/model do you buy, and why?
3) Anyone have any news on this new Gil technology, and whether it is worth waiting?
Unread 07-11-15, 04:47 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Concorde RG technology has been out for years. I'm on my third one. Every three years I replace my battery. This last time I bought the Battery Minder designed and made for the RG battery and I have left it on the battery whenever it is in the hangar. Remember, just because it starts the engine doesn't mean the battery is sufficient for IFR flight. How long will your battery last if the charge system goes awol and you are hard IFR at night? I don't really want to find out but if it happened I want the most out of my battery that I can possibly get.

Do it once, do it right. It's only a problem when you aren't repaired for it........

I you buy the Concorde RG you won't be sorry, it's a great battery. Once you do then take care of it with a Battery Minder

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-11-15, 10:55 PM

tie down

battery minders alot harder to put in place when you are in a tie-down not near an outlet...yes, a solar powered rig can be set-up, but not an easy task, especially when there are high winds.

thanks for your feedback on the battery you use.

Anyone else want to chime in on the topic?
Unread 07-12-15, 08:17 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I have always used the Gill G242. My experience has also proven that 3 years is the norm. When I replaced my last one 18 months ago, I also purchased a battery minder and use it whenever the airplane is sitting. My hope is the battery will last longer but I won't know the answer for another 18 months. It is frustrating to me the lack of longevity with these batteries, especially for what they cost, but it seems to simply be a "fact of life." Supposedly the battery minder will extend the life. I hope it does. Stay tuned.

Ed
Unread 07-12-15, 06:51 PM
Forum Administrator

I know the Concorde costs a little more but I think the program is worth it. It's a sealed battery and that eliminates the maintenance and any potential acid spill that will happen. I have seen a lot of battery box locations and they are normally a mess. No worries with the Concorde RG24-11.

The cold crank amps on the Gill is 106 and it's 160 on the Concorde. The rated capacity is 8 hours and 11 hours respectively. The Concorde is also half a pound lighter. I went back and checked my log book and I have averaged about 5 years on the Concorde without a battery minder. I still may change my replacement schedule based on the fact that I used to change the battery when it died and I am thinking that is not the best PM. As I said above in the other post, how long is the battery going to last when you are IMC at night and the system goes down? I will probably change it every four years minimum now that I have the battery minder to condition the battery. The battery minder de-sulfates the battery. Keeps the plates in top condition.

It's a no brainer in my mind, Concorde RG24-11

Unread 07-15-15, 09:45 AM

Concorde Pirep

pulled my battery out to charge it up, and low and behold I did get a Concorde put in...logbooks show Jan2014, so 1 1/2 yrs, on a Concorde RG24-15 Platinum Series battery. So as with most things aviation, it appears your mileage (and battery life) may vary.

I know my previous Gil batteries lasted much longer than 1 1/2 yrs.

Now, to be fair, I have made a lot of electrical changes, and how I use things. eg:
I replaced my entire avionics stack to now include two Avidyne IFD540s, they are big units and I went for the extra power 16w comms on them, etc...plus I keep my lights on and flashing at all times now...I replaced regular lights and went all LED, AeroLED to be precise...with wig wag...so the draw should be low, given they are LEDs...they supposedly have a lifespan of some huge number of hours of use, so I decided to just leave them on an wagging all the time, along with AeroLED beacon/strobe, nav/strobes, plus my older belly strobe (yes I am lit up like Christmas all the time). But it makes my bright yellow bumblebee pretty darn visible when others have to find 'traffic'.

Anyway, I digress....with all above going on, I need to hook up an ammeter and figure out my actual load....seems like if I leave that all on after landing, I barely have enough juice to fire up again. If I turn it all off right after landing, and idle for a few minutes, I have enough juice....that was making me think it was time for a new battery, but maybe it is just me.

In any case, I may give the new Gil technology a try if they have the approved new version that replaces the 242 avail at OSH.

Still love other pireps on batteries, and more importantly, why. These are the kind of thing that are great for a forum like this one...sharing your thoughts and opinions with others. We don't all have to agree, or use the same stuff, but it is nice to explore...
Unread 07-15-15, 07:18 PM
Forum Administrator

Agreed, it's all good information. I don't think you are using an excess of power, sounds like you have a bad battery for some reason or the charge system is not performing correctly. Also for the Recumbent Gas (RG) batteries, be careful you don't overcharge them with too much amperage. That will do a number on them. They say most automotive chargers will fry them.

Unread 07-18-15, 12:32 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
Hi Rob. There are a million battery stories in the naked city. here's mine.

So I too went from Gill to Concorde. I went through two Gill batteries in a year and a half. Always was iffy after sitting if Id get a start. I replaced them with a Concorde RG24-16, which had the highest rated capacity from Concorde for the 337. I also bought a battery minder and had the battery minder charging receptacle installed inside the front oil dipstick access door. I'm lucky enough to have a hanger, so the plane is on the minder whenever its in there. Long story short its now been two years of no problems whatsoever. 25.4V at start, and always happy to do so. I also swapped my taxi/landing lights for LEDs and have an ammeter in there. This dropped the current drain significantly and I leave all four lights on all the time along with the beacons. I have one IFD540, standard comms, and an Aspen as well as Whelen strobes. I too am a flying Christmas tree when I'm out there. I think the big issue is if you ever have an event that fully drains the battery, they just don't come back from that. My two years of Gills included at least one event for each one where the battery drained to the minimum. I think this kind of kills the battery and if it happens you wont get great performance out of it afterwards. In any case I have been very happy with my current setup and would highly recommend it.

Last edited by B2C2 : 07-18-15 at 01:00 PM.
Unread 07-18-15, 07:16 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I would agree with your post. If the alternators are allowed to charge a weak battery, the battery will suffer, from what my studies have taught me. Alternators are fine to maintain a fully charged battery but once the battery is low, apparently they need to be brought back slowly. A battery minder will do this from what I understand. The alternators are just too quick!

Ed
Unread 07-28-15, 07:39 AM

chrisktx is on a distinguished road
I can confirm that three years is a long run for an aircraft battery.
Unread 08-01-15, 08:27 AM

bking is on a distinguished road
Will a Concorde replacement fit the original 337G battery box with any modifications?
Unread 08-02-15, 01:57 PM
Forum Administrator

Without any modifications? Yes, check the Concorde site for applicability. No modifications required to the original box

Last edited by hharney : 08-02-15 at 11:17 PM.
Unread 09-04-20, 12:18 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Gill vs Concorde

Today, my 2 year old G242 battery died. Showed 24.3v unloaded, but volts dropped to 9.8v upon cranking—obviously no start. Worked great two weeks ago. Use a Schauer 24v ground power unit and battery charger routinely. Thought it would be a good battery minder...but maybe the charger/maintainer hastened it’s demise? According to logs, prior to 2018, the bird got a new battery in 1988, 1999, and 2009. So, old Gill batteries were apparently pretty good. Thinking of swapping to Concorde. A&P votes for Concorde also. Concorde site calls for the RG 24-12 as the appropriate battery for my ‘77 NA G model. Anyone using this battery? Where do you like to shop for one?
Unread 09-04-20, 08:57 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Are there any Lithium Ion batteries PMA'd for the 337? They are taking over in the Bonanza world. Half the size and weight, far more CCA. Would love to have a LI option for our planes! Comes in its own box too, so get rid of that ridiculously expensive battery box, especially the $1000+ plastic battery box in late model 337s.

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/pro...nanza-a36-stc/

I may install one via 337 if no PMA solution is available. (I guess 337's for 337's is a tired joke by now on this site )

Last edited by mshac : 09-04-20 at 09:06 AM.
Unread 09-04-20, 10:25 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
Are there any Lithium Ion batteries PMA'd for the 337? They are taking over in the Bonanza world. Half the size and weight, far more CCA. Would love to have a LI option for our planes! Comes in its own box too, so get rid of that ridiculously expensive battery box, especially the $1000+ plastic battery box in late model 337s.

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/pro...nanza-a36-stc/

I may install one via 337 if no PMA solution is available. (I guess 337's for 337's is a tired joke by now on this site )
Welp, I followed your link which re-directed me to mcico.com for purchase info. It appears the STC for the Bonanza is $8035.00

Maybe I'll just stick with a Concorde RG 24-16.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: