Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-11-12, 10:32 AM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Talking New stuff and Sexy Panels

Gents

Re-doing my avionics, I've been looking for the perfect combination of an open hardware platform (non-certied so it can evolve at the speed of software), that is dash mountable, and could run TrueMap (aviationsafety.com); which I think to be the best in-cockpit application.

When the Helm x650 came out I said 'Bogey down!" (Or some equally dated expression).

Thus I'm adding the Helm x650, at the top of the stack to help keep eyes OUT,with TrueMap.

The Helm appeals to my rebel nature, a non-certified open platform with high-rez, high brightness, touchscreen, the same GPS hardware chipset as garmin certified, plus azimuth and elevation sensors, USB, etc. You can run any software you want. As software evolves, so does the box.

Much better than spending $20k for whatever FAA was willing to approve four years ago with garmin, or others; thereafter technologically frozen in time until ready to fork over another $20k or more in the future.

I went with truemap because it seemed the best in-flight application. Some of the user I/O is a bit klunky, but it's probably the best for in flight www.aviationsafety.com

I also realized its a full computer, so with audio software (VFR) my wife can listen to her podcasts, and I can fill up to 60G solid state drive with music, etc.

Pretty cool, eh?

It also puts out the data stream my Shadin can read. Since it cannot control or affect the certified devices, merely spits data, they can be interfaced without too much adieu.

---

As I was looking online at various panels, I also ran across these wood-like finishes from www.pfluegers.com.

My wife happened to look over my shoulder and went "Oooooo."

When you are looking at airplane stuff and your wife goes "Oooooo" it is best to assume that is an imperative statement.

To date my 'thrasher was still equipped with cracked and broken plastic overlay and riveted 40 year old post lights. I had been planning to put in a pile of nulites around all of the instruments. When I priced out that many nulights, plus the hassle and cost of installing, I realized that for not too much more these panels both prettied-up the panel and also provide the perfect lighting. The panels are actually acrylic with embedded lighting. I had them designed with their bottom edge open as well, to provide down lighting to the switch panels below.

Pflueger can do them in any finish. Metal-like, wood like, whatever. They use high tech overlay material over the underlying acrylic.

"Ooooooo"

Eat your hearts out!

D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5708.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9519.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	1348  
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 03-11-12, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Great post, David. I have always been a firm believer in portable devices, for both the huge price advantage and the up-to-date features compared to certified panel-mount avionics. And your open-source approach rocks.

Went to the website you listed. They seem to be calling the system (Helm x650 with TrueMap) the Flight Cheetah FL 650. I note it can be portable or panel mounted, so one question: can you arrange it so it pulls out of the panel, thereby considering it portable, so an FAA inspector doesn't give you grief for installing a non-certified unit?

Ernie
Unread 03-11-12, 02:42 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Smile It is removable

Yes it is removable.

Richard Helm has done a great job in the mechanical design. The entire unit snaps into a well built aluminum bracket which secures within the avionics footprint.

Like a gismo dock on steroids.

My install work is being done by an avionics shop with a tough FSDO. The alum bracket just has to be secured solidly with nuts. Not sheet metal screws etc which 'could' vibrate out.
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 03-11-12, 10:32 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Looks Great!
Unread 03-12-12, 12:35 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
How will you file IFR? 337/A? If you don't have a certified GPS you will not be able to take advantage of the LPV approaches. Is there another box that I don't see? To provide the compliance?

Very nice panel, I thought the Pflueger company was not suppling the aviation market anymore? How was the process with Pflueger? Looks great.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-12-12, 06:13 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
OH, Cool

If the FAA would allow it, I always think the MGL package (http://www.mglavionics.com/) is ultra cool.
What you have is next best. Way to go David.