Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-27-02, 10:28 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Reverse

Recently, I watched a C-90 do it's run up, and the pilot put the props in Beta, Reverse, and actually backed up a bit.

I know that all Turbo Prop planes have reversing props, and they are used effectively to reduce the landing roll. The Republic SeeBee also has a reversing prop. So does the Grumman Albatross.

Why don't other piston engine planes have reversing props? It seems to me that would be a better way of reversing ground roll, and unlike the turbine guys, we wouldn't have to worry about FOD to the engine. It seems to me that would be better than bug catchers on the wing (vortex generators). Is it because the thrust bearing on the engine can't handle negative thrust? What about the airshow planes that do a tail slide, aren't they unloading the thrust bearing on the engine?

Is like the automatic landing gear on Pipers, that went away because someone did something stupid? Is it an insurance/liability thing?

Seems to me it would be a cool way to reverse ground roll, not to mention backing into the hangar!!!