Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-05-12, 11:02 AM

kdiel11 is on a distinguished road
New Skymaster Owner

I would like to introduce myself. I am Kevin Diel. I just purchased N2334S over the Thanksgiving weekend and me and a friend flew it from Red Bluff, CA to Carlsbad and then west to UCLA (upper corner lower Alabama). The Fort Rucker area to be more precise. I have my commercial instrument RW license that I have never used and will now need to transition into FW and the 337 to be more precise (is there an echo in here?). If you haven't picked up on it yet, I was formerly an Army Aviator, then went to the dark side and went to medical school and became a Flight Surgeon. And now I have gone even further into the dark side and am an FAA AME. 2334s came out of annual just before I picked it up. One engine is at about 400 while the other is about 1200ish. Its a turbo with factory installed O2 bottles. It flew home from Red Bluff without incident. I can't wait to start getting instruction in it. I have delayed introducing myself until I read through nearly every thread on this site. I know that I won't remember everything, but I have a pretty good memory and will be able to say, "I read something about that in SOAPA." And then I will use the search engine to find it. I haven't heard anything about this years' meeting. Have you decided where? When? I hope I will be able to fly myself there in 34S. The instrument panel was completely replaced with EI. It is pretty impressive, Ill try to take some pics of it and forward them. there is almost too much information off of the temp system. Still trying to master it. I have old fuel gauges and really don't care if they work or not. I usually always fill up after a flight (old army habit).
About being an AME. As a flight surgeon, it was my role to PRESERVE THE FIGHTING FORCE and not to ground pilots for anything. I took that role very seriously and as long as safety was not compromised, I always kept them flying until my hands were tied. I have the same mentality with helping pilots get and keep their medicals. If anyone ever needs some advice or even a physical, I am only an e-mail away at k.diel_amc@yahoo.com. Look forward to many more exchanges with you all. KD

P.S. Yes we now have yet another Kevin in the forum!
Unread 03-05-12, 03:42 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
New 337 Driver

Welcome aboard, we need more people like yourself out there. I have been to the meetings and you will enjoy our group of good guys. We all have a lot in comand, we love the 337's.
Dale
Unread 03-05-12, 03:48 PM

I have always admired this plane for the CLT issue and have wondered in amazement how it has not been more widely held as the best approach for safety. Owning a 67 model, I have the old system of separate aux tanks but with a little studying and common sense, and complying with the POH it is hard for me to understand why this system has caused so many problems for pilots.
Unread 03-05-12, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Because, unlike you, they didn't take the time to become familiar with it.

Ernie Martin
Unread 03-05-12, 06:25 PM

Of course now I have to tell on myself.........We went to Red Bluff to pick up the plane. It had been fueled up and we took it around the pattern once with a CFI just to make sure my friend remembered everything about flying a Skymaster (one of 13 or 14 planes he has owned, he currently owns a Piper Meridian). He had owned a NA 337 but had also owned a single engine turbo. We take off from Red Bluff and begin flying south to Carlsbad. On our cruise flight level off check, I can't find the POH! I saw the guy put it somewhere up front on the CP side but I can't find it! What I did know from all my reading prior to this flight is that you don't want to lean too much with a turbo (lets not start the LOP/ROP debate again!) So we flew down to Carlsbad either near fully rich or fully rich. I know normally that the plane has about 6 hours of flying on a bag of gas. So just flying to Carlsbad should not be a problem...... We were on an IFR flight plan and were even vectored over downtown LA to set us up for landing at Carlsbad. We taxied into the FBO, shut down and told them to top off all tanks. We got back to the plane the next morning and my bill was for over $700! I asked the guy, "just how much gas did you pump?" He replied, "118 gallons." So much for having a reserve! I found the CPA workbook that a previous owner had attended and "appropriately" leaned the mixture for the next 2 days of flying. WHen leaned "appropriately" we would cruise at 21 gph. We were Eastbound so our GS was varying with tailwind sometimes as much at 195 kts at 11k. I'm having a little trouble with one of mine OBSs but otherwise I am really happy with the purchase for only $45K. KD
Unread 03-05-12, 11:13 PM

336skymaster is on a distinguished road
Smile Coming out of the Dark

Welcome back from the dark and hope you enjoy your aircraft. I'm looking to come out of the dark this year, actively looking for my aircraft. Will be just for family travel, flew a 336 in mid 80s, is not fast but it will take you anywhere safely. As a veteran I can say, Skymasters are combat proven. I've seen pictures of Skymasters/O-2 after their combat missions in Vietnam, it brought our guy back. Be safe and "Thanks for your Service to our Country".
Unread 03-05-12, 11:38 PM

You are welcome. But I have to tell you, it wasn't all that bad being in the Army. I first joined in 79. Back then it was all about working hard and playing hard. he rest was left to the"civilians" to figure out. It was so about mission. Nowadays its more about PC and if you have the time try to get the mission don with half the resources. I know Big Brother (administrator) is reading these so I digress.
About hauling the family around. Its only my wife and I now. Daughter in S.D., CA and son in Germany ironically doing the same thing I was doing nearly 3 decades ago! I ought this without my wife's knowledge or consent. I know, I like to live dangerously! I promised her I would clear out a couple of projects in the garage fr her to keep the plane. She did not cut me off for very long when I told her that it could turn a 15 hour drive to her parents' house into a 4 hour jaunt in the plane. There is even a grass strip within 3 miles of her parents house! I wouldn't have any problems flying back out to SD/Carlsbad. And I'm just dumb enough to try a trip to Germany too. However, it sounds as if the "nutroll" to get trough the red tape is getting longer.
Unread 03-06-12, 08:52 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Welcome Kevin

Hope to see you at the SOAPA event this year. You will really enjoy the passion that we have for our aircraft. Details to be posted soon. I like your plane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N2334S 0634 B T.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1345  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-06-12, 10:36 AM

So is there a tentative time? place? BTW, belated congratulations on your trophy from Oshgosh (?). I have gone over all the pics you have posted to the website and you have definitely done a magnificent job restoring your aircraft.
Unread 03-06-12, 01:39 PM

336skymaster is on a distinguished road
Parallel line of thoughts

Kidel11. Military service, family travel plans, honey due list, life of danger, all ready for next mission, etc. I plan to fly regularly to Puerto Rico, cost is about the same, real time is less, departure runway I'm working on that, arrival no problem. I have one more tour and I will retire from the military. I started in 73, was out 6 years and came back in 86, must be a old school syndrome. Ask me about transformation, I may be going out at any time just if I you don't see me around, I will report back at my return. I learned this from a old "air wolfe" pilot, Why if the big guys avoid bad wheather, we have to adveture in it, if you and your aircraft don't become one, your not flying. I've lost good friends due to IMC. BE SAFE
Unread 03-06-12, 03:30 PM

Not a problem about me staying away from weather. I spent years flying attack helicopters. There is no mission that requires them to fly in IMC. Inadvertant IMC yes, but not deliberately. I spent those 7 years always quoting, "its better to be down here wishing to be up there than to be up there wishing to be down here."
I also have a "scam" I am trying to run to get me a "personal MEI." I know of a retired civil service pilot that flew C-12s out of Ft. Rucker for a longtime. I'll offer him the use of my plane to get "checked" out as an MEI in it. Then will go up with him and get his 5 hours of PIC in it so he can instruct me. I may pay for it by just letting him have access to the plane anytime that I'm not using it. All I will be out is hours on the plane and gas. Hopefully, I should know more by this weekend. KD

Last edited by kdiel11 : 03-06-12 at 03:53 PM.
Unread 03-06-12, 06:12 PM

Herb,
Where did you find a picture of 34S? I just noticed it. Trust me, it looks much better in a white with green and purple accents. I'll try and get a pic attached by tomorrow. KD
Unread 03-06-12, 10:26 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiel11 View Post
Herb,
Where did you find a picture of 34S? I just noticed it. Trust me, it looks much better in a white with green and purple accents. I'll try and get a pic attached by tomorrow. KD

Google, lots and lots of Skymasters

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-07-12, 10:40 AM

So I need info from the FAA types about what it would take for a FAA MEI to get his certification to instruct in the 337. My thoughts would be just a check-out ride by an FAA examiner in type and then 5 hours of PIC time in the aircraft. Thoughts? KD
Unread 03-07-12, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Two questions: You don't have a multi-engine license? Are you insuring the aircraft?

Ernie