Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-02-17, 10:00 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
GPSS with 400A Autopilot

I have a 430W and a 400A autopilot.

What are my choices to provide GPSS commands to the 400A?

Thanks,

John
Unread 02-07-17, 11:19 AM

LostKiwi is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

I did some digging in the 400W series installation manual. Its pretty heavy reading, but if you look at fig. H-31 it has the complete wiring diagram to allow the 400W/420W/430W to interconnect with the autopilot.

I have the 400A autopilot as well, it works a treat. I plan on upgrading my (very old) radios at some point, so I was hoping someone would jump in here with more info.

I'd be curious to hear what the avionics boys have to add, and to learn more about it. Heres hoping its not too difficult/spendy.

Leighton.
Unread 02-07-17, 12:31 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Hi Leighton,

My aircraft has the 400A without HSI and Figure H-31/page H-50 in the Garmin manual is for the 300B/400B/800B or the 300IFCS/400IFCS/800IFCS.

However, page G-3 in the same manual lists the 400A if it has the CA530FD autopilot computer which mine does. Bottom line, I think it's going to take at least one phone call from my avionics guy to Garmin.

I can tell you that the DAC GDC31 is STC'd and AML'd for the 400A in a 337G but there's no vertical guidance.

http://dacint.com/products/gdc31/
Unread 02-07-17, 02:20 PM

LostKiwi is on a distinguished road
I did see that table on G3 but I wasn't sure how to interpret it. I noticed it says 300 IFCS / 400 IFCS / 800 IFCS, which is like the autopilot that the 337H came out with, right? the one with the FD on the dash and all the buttons?

Then in the "notes" column it references the 400A. So that CA530FD computer (or an aftermarket version thereof) is the dealie-oh we need?

I have a Bendix KI525A HSI, which is coupled into the autopilot. I don't know if I have the Bendix KA57 autopilot convertor, or if I have a Cessna one, or an aftermarket one. I'll have to look.

Then I've got a switch that I can flick to choose if the HSI or the bug on the DG drives the autopilot... No idea what convertors that does or doesn't tie into.
Avionics issues hurt my head.

Cessna fitted 400A's into damn near everything at one point. The 430 has to be one of the most widely produced GPS's of all time. Surely we aren't the first folk to go down this road.

How are you equipped currently?

Leighton.