Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-09-07, 09:05 PM

etcub is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Oshksh

Is there a Skymaster group and OSH? Do the park in one bunch?
Unread 06-10-07, 08:59 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
OSK

A couple of years ago several planes tried to do so but it was one of those last minute things and didn't work out to well. I assume with proper planning and notification something can be worked out. I myself always fly into Appleton and rent a car but both Larry and Herb often fly into OSH. This is a good posting to use for anyone interested in doing so. Still a lot of time to organize it, so for you folks that want to do so just put a message here.

Jerry
Unread 06-14-07, 12:05 AM
Cessna O-2 Enthusiast

o2skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Oshkosh or Bust 2007

Hi Skymaster Forum,

I'm an avid O-2 enthusiast. I've been a forum member for awhile and posted once in a while so I thought I'd post this for some member input. I've never been to Oshkosh/Airventure but I would really like to go. It looks like it will work out with my work schedule this year.

What is the best way to try to see Oshkosh if I can only get a week off and I live in Atlanta? I'm not a private pilot yet.

Originally, I was hoping to get 2 weeks off and drive up in my RV with the family - but that's not an option now. So, it looks like:

A) fly commercial into ______ (which city?) and rent a car/drive/get a motel.

B) fly commerical and pack a tent to live in tent camping city.

C) hitch a ride with a pilot heading that way and grab a rental car & motel -or- still take the tent.

D) other suggestions??

I found the Airventure Rideshare website (http://www.airventure.org/rideshare) and I've posted a message but, so far, just one hit from a fellow Georgian -- but he was looking for someone IFR rated to go along in case they ran into weather.

Any Southern Skymasters looking to make the trip up? I don't know all the regs, but if it's possible, I'd pay my fair share of expenses. It would be just me on this trip. My wife and two girls are going to have "girl time" while dad's away "playing with airplanes." Ha ha.

Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions from past Oshkosh'ers. Tip and tricks to maximize my time and so forth. Even though I don't contribute a ton, I get enjoyment by living through the experiences and postings of others. My private pilot ticket should be coming in the soon-to-be-future and I'll be working on my hours toward getting that O-2A.

Cheers-

Mike
"Oshkosh or Bust 2007"
Unread 06-14-07, 08:45 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
What a great question. I think that there are tons of answers, and I hope everyone participates.

It is my opinion, that it is almost to late to get a hotel room, anywhere close. My wife and I did it one year, waited until the last minute, and ended up staying in Green Bay. It was nice, but it was an hour drive, each way.

That would presume that you flew commercial, or drove. The event really starts on Sunday/Monday, so driving up is an option.

I have camped out. It was fun. It rained, that was no fun. Sometimes, it rains for days. However, you get the ambience, go to theater in the woods, etc.

I would think that camping is fun, hotel is easy. If you were really going for the whole week, it might be better to try and find a hotel.
Unread 06-15-07, 07:57 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Well, here is my 2 cents:

Do you like sleeping in a wet, musty tent? If I were 15 years younger I might do it. Not today. I don't like even sleeping in a sleeping bag anymore. If my two boys would do it (14 & 16) I might try it. Like Larry said, it rains almost every day. But if you were in the tent area under some trees, well might not be too bad.

I have done several different ways, coming from Idaho (old home) I flew into Milwaukee and stayed in a hotel. Rented a car and drove each day to OSH. BTW, this was a Skymaster Fly In organized by Dick Whitiker. There were about 10 or 12 337's at Timmerman Field. Dick Whitiker flew his C421 in (go figure) was anyone else at that one? Let's see that was 1989 I think. Anyway, I think you could still secure a room in Milwaukee. There are a few small towns going toward OSH that might have space but the closer to Whitman Field the less chance you will have. One year we drove the motorhome to OSH from Idaho. That was really the way to do it. Except for the drive, which I really didn't mind, having the RV was great. We did it again last year from Michigan. We stay at the Circle R campground. It's just 1/4 mile or so south of Whitman Field. Go back to the RV for lunch and take a quick nap and then head for the daily airshow. Pretty much an airshow most of the time above the campground. Right off the end of runway 36. One year from Michigan we flew into OSH for the day and back out that night. I got the fly the only Skymaster with Composite Props from OSH to GRR that night. Kinda fun, now I have those wood props on my bird. One year from Michigan we flew into Appleton, Jerry's choice, and that worked fine too. Bus leaves there for OSH every 30 minutes and then takes you back.

However you do it just do it! For your first time try the hotel south like Milwaukee or north like Green Bay. Or maybe just come to Michigan and ride with the Michigan Flyers. Not sure when Larry and Jerry are going but I will be attending Friday and Saturday or Sunday. I have an extra seat.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-19-07, 08:07 PM
Cessna O-2 Enthusiast

Larry & HH,

Thanks for your input. I'll have to see which will work out better for me: tenting it or finding a hotel and commuting.

But -- ta dah....! Through the magic of the web, it looks like I might have a ride up to Oshkosh (in an aircraft). It's not a Skymaster but it is a warbird. We'll see if it works out or not. We found each other through the Airventure/rideshare website. Pretty slick.

[Thinking to self.... "Now.... if only I could get a looooong range forecast to see if it's going to rain that week or not!!" To tent or not to tent?]

Thanks again guys. I'll post here again to let you know if I have a ride secured.

HH - thanks for the offer for the seat. I'll keep it in mind if this one doesn't work out for me.

Cheers-

Mike
Unread 06-19-07, 08:33 PM
Web Master

Good luck.
As Herb said, make it to Michigan, the Michigan Flyers can get you there.

I have not decided when I will go. Part of me wants to go over on Monday, opening day, Beach Boys concert. I think it would mean tenting overnight. Part of me wants to go over on Saturday, because the airshow is best on Saturday, I think. However, the crowds are insane on Saturday, so Friday is a good compromise.

Still working on it. Oh, and like Herb, I'll have an empty seat.
Unread 06-20-07, 10:09 PM
Cessna O-2 Enthusiast

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the empty seat offer. I appreciate it.

I'm excited about the prospect of making it this year. I think I'll plan on tenting just so I can get the "full effect!" Cruising back and forth in a rental car for xx number of miles to and from a hotel takes away from "airplane time" at the field... ;-)

[Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out this year...]

Mike

PS - The Beach Boys concert sounds fun.
Unread 07-22-07, 05:20 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
All Right! Going to KOSH

Jenny and I plan to be at OSH Monday afternoon.

We will be there through Thursday evening - Returning to RIC (FCI) Friday morning.

We will be working the Coast Guard Aux booth periodically (Hangar A, booth 1054) and playing as much as we can when we are not in the booth.

If you want to touch base with us:

My Cell - (804) 647-2461

Jenny's - (804) 337-0653.

Who else will be there? (I think Larry B is the only one I have seen confirmed so far).

Jim Stack

Last edited by stackj : 07-22-07 at 05:23 PM.
Unread 07-22-07, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
For those of you who might not have seen it, please note on the Stack message immediately above the auto license plates of Jim and Jenny (left column).

Ernie
Unread 07-26-07, 08:22 PM

etcub is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Hey we just got home form Oschksh had a great tme !!!!!
We saw some 337 there but to busy to look anybody up.
Our first time will be back Erlend
Unread 07-26-07, 09:19 PM
Web Master

Quote:
Originally posted by o2skymaster
Larry & HH,

[Thinking to self.... "Now.... if only I could get a looooong range forecast to see if it's going to rain that week or not!!" To tent or not to tent?]

Cheers-

Mike
Hmm, Tent
This is the radar picture this evening, Thursday.
Attached Images
File Type: png grb_0.png (49.5 KB, 1148 views)
Unread 07-28-07, 11:49 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Tradgedy at Airventure Yesterday

Larry and I were at Oshkosh yesterday when just as the airshow started with the first event, RENO RACERS. Just as the mock race was finished and the planes were landing, one mustang, on the runway, was overtaken by another mustang landing. See the story below, it was a mess. This incident was at 3:00 PM and we had a 7:00 PM IFR (number 7 in the line) slot for departure but the airport was still closed at 7:00 PM. What to do? We were ramped at Basler Air Service along with a dozen CJ's, King Air's, Beech Baron's, 421's and on and on. Waiting, waiting, talking, listening to ATIS. The whole issue was the accident was on runway 36 (south) and we would be departing 27 (north) but because of the accident all the emergency support was 2 miles away at the scene of the accident. So they would not allow any departures on the north runway without having some kind of emergency support for the runway. Finally we had decided that we were spending the night in N37KC when the King Air fired up his engines next to us. We hurried to the plane and turned on the radio and sure enough they had just opened the airport. It was a mad, crazy dash for all those planes to taxi to the departure point. They were going to honor all IFR slots and we were 7 on the list but it was suggested by ATC that we go out VFR because the airport would be closing in 30 minutes. We quickly changed our sign from IFR to VFR and barley made the line of jets, turbines and kits to the runway. It was amazing how quickly they put planes in the air. Well that was just about enough excitement for one day at Airventure. It was an adventure. The best part was sleeping in my own bed last night and not in a Skymaster on the ramp. Although, I was with the best of company. Thanks for the trip Larry!

OSHKOSH, Wis. - Two single-engine war planes at an experimental airshow collided while landing Friday, killing one of the pilots and injuring the other, officials said.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the collision with the two P-51 Mustangs happened at 3:17 p.m. after the planes finished a performance at the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual AirVenture show.

P-51 Mustangs are single-seat fighters that were used in World War II.

FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board investigators were on the scene on Friday.

NTSB spokesman Ted Lopatkiewicz said one pilot died and the other had minor injuries when the planes clipped wings on landing. He said an NTSB investigator on the scene scheduled a news briefing at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Wittman Regional Airport terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c80f736d-6246-4151-bc46-05a813603656.jpg (11.7 KB, 1080 views)

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-29-07, 09:59 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Oshkosh

I landed at Appleton ATW Saturday and went to Oshkosh. I din't know of the P-51 accident until until I read Herbs posting. The shown went on as usual. Great shw and great weather. At ATW as I enterred Maxair FBO I saw a Skymaster taxing out. It was N30EC. That was the only Skymaster I saw all day.

Jerry
N34EC
Unread 07-29-07, 11:50 AM
Web Master

As Herb mentioned, the airport was closed for all arrivals and departures. Normally, Whitman opens for departures at 18:30 local, and is closed for the night at 20:00 local.

At some time after 20:00 they opened for departures, but with the adomonition that they would be closed for the night at sunset. It was interesting to be in the VFR line with a King Air 350 ahead of us, and a jet ahead of him, while those folks at the IFR line were being told to hold.

I will say that the VFR departures were more orderly and controlled than in previous years. Perhaps it was the days events, and lack of equipment, but I hope it is a trend they follow.