Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-16-19, 03:32 PM

Skywalker is on a distinguished road
N88tn Finaly Came Home

Dear All
would like to inform with great pleasure ,that finally I got my Skymaster N88TN home to Poland, it took almost 10 month from Pre buy to delivery and on the way some major modifications and preventive maintenance, removel of minor and major squawks ( list was 160 items long) were done,,Brant Aero Did the great Job ,although they had some times hard time ,getting things up to the standards, specially the pressurisation, Already did the first IFR Cross country from Poland, EPZE -EPZG-LIME( Milan Italy) and it was great experience, Skymaster will do honest 180 Kts True at FL170-180, Having minor issues as follow and would request some advise .
-Rear Engine dip stick is very hard to insert back, Brant Aero did not correct it or forgot about it, its really pain in A.... As I fought 10 mints to hit the right angle
-I have Stec 55X and on final approach in Milan the AP did not capture the GS?
Is any body know what will be correct procedure for the Stec set up, for approach ? I was vectored to final a so I activated the APR On GTN 750, Pressed the .APR ;button on AP panel, was also in ALT mode but AP did not capture the GS?
as the instruction manual is very very badly written and just create confusion
-My run way was is only 2000 feet and its 30 deg Celcius now, any good advise about STOL operations? I am not comfortable with short field, last approach I did was 70 kts on final and 60 kts at threshold. had 80 gallons on Board and 2 x 175 lbs persons?
-I do have the Vg installation,
-Tomorrow plan to fly high with full fuel and want to check the true stall speed
Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N88TN OVER THE ALPS.jpg (101.3 KB, 1096 views)
File Type: jpg N88TN INSTRUMENT P.jpg (85.1 KB, 1063 views)
Unread 06-17-19, 01:11 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Very cool!!!

Beautiful pictures!

Congratulations!
Unread 06-18-19, 08:47 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Congrats Dennis!

Try pushing the alt button twice for gs, there are some tutorials on youtube that might help. 2000' is tight but doable, if you can't add 1000' then lighter weights and early mornings are your best bet.

Cheers,
Brent
Unread 06-18-19, 11:55 PM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
As strange as this might sound, try inserting the dipstick until it becomes difficult, then grab it about an inch above the tube and push from there (rather than simply pushing it from the handle). You may find that it is easier to insert when done this way. Use a rag or paper towel to hold it if you like.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
-Rear Engine dip stick is very hard to insert back, Brant Aero did not correct it or forgot about it, its really pain in A.... As I fought 10 mints to hit the right angle
Unread 06-20-19, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Air Rambo View Post
Congrats Dennis!

Try pushing the alt button twice for gs, there are some tutorials on youtube that might help. 2000' is tight but doable, if you can't add 1000' then lighter weights and early mornings are your best bet.

Cheers,
Brent
thanks for the tip about S-TEC, already watching lot of stuff on U tube, the runway length is Max 2000 ,so always planing as light as possible and evenings or early mornings ;-)
Dennis
Unread 06-20-19, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1000 View Post
As strange as this might sound, try inserting the dipstick until it becomes difficult, then grab it about an inch above the tube and push from there (rather than simply pushing it from the handle). You may find that it is easier to insert when done this way. Use a rag or paper towel to hold it if you like.

Dan
The dip stick was twisted and in really bad shape ,we did change with new one and also mechanic did some work with the dip stick passage and now working fine. but still it requires a certain technique to insert it inside ;-)
Thanks
Unread 06-22-19, 03:14 PM

One thing I remember is that dipsticks for engines don't take into account that the engine is often installed on some kind of a slant. Be sure to calibrate your dipstick at the next oil change, by inserting the correct amount of new oil, running the engine up to temperature, then checking the oil. If you put in X quarts of oil, you know that X quarts of oil are in there, and the dipstick should read that X quarts of oil are in there. If it doesn't, file a notch in the dipstick at the oil line, so you know where X quarts shows on the dipstick.

Failure to calibrate the dipstick can result in overfilling, and lots of extra work cleaning oil off the belly and.or tailplane.

Note: This is not a 337 issue. All engines are installed at an angle, and the dipsticks are rarely calibrated correctly. Hence: lots of belly cleaning.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
The dip stick was twisted and in really bad shape ,we did change with new one and also mechanic did some work with the dip stick passage and now working fine. but still it requires a certain technique to insert it inside ;-)
Thanks
Unread 06-23-19, 01:34 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The engines on the 337 are not on a slant or angle. Yes, the dipsticks should be verified for calibration but do it when the oil is cold. Who checks the oil when it's hot? 99% of the time you are pulling the dipsticks before the flight not after the flight. Most engine systems will tend to stabilize to a level and stay there unless there is some kind of problem that consumes oil. Once you allow the level to stabilize after a couple hours of operation then that is a good indication of where you should allow the oil level to remain to avoid any blow by that make a mess on the airframe. My normally aspirated engines stabilize at about 6 to 6.5 quarts. That's where I operate them, remember there is one quart in the filter that is not indicated on the dipstick.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-23-19, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the "cold" clarification. I forgot to mention that after running the engine up to temperature, let it cool before proceeding

About not being installed at a slant: I'm not 100% sure in the case of the Skymaster, and am willing to accept that there is no tail-high or tail-low orientation whatsoever if that is what you are telling me. On many airplanes (the obvious examples being tail-draggers), the on-the-ground angle is non-zero. And of course, even in the air in level flight, there is usually some angle of incidence of the wing, if not the engines.

The main point is that engine installations in different types of aircraft result in some front-to-back tilt relative to level-ground. Can you confirm that the front and back installations in the 337 are at zero degrees relative to level ground? If so, the dipsticks may be accurate from the factory. If not, there will for-sure be some calibration needed before accurate readings can be obtained.

Good point about not forgetting about the quart in the filter (and that running the engine up to temperature ensures that the filter is full before letting the engine cool and reading the oil level).

I also like your point that the owner often compensates mentally to find the level that the engine likes to maintain.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
The engines on the 337 are not on a slant or angle. Yes, the dipsticks should be verified for calibration but do it when the oil is cold. Who checks the oil when it's hot? 99% of the time you are pulling the dipsticks before the flight not after the flight. Most engine systems will tend to stabilize to a level and stay there unless there is some kind of problem that consumes oil. Once you allow the level to stabilize after a couple hours of operation then that is a good indication of where you should allow the oil level to remain to avoid any blow by that make a mess on the airframe. My normally aspirated engines stabilize at about 6 to 6.5 quarts. That's where I operate them, remember there is one quart in the filter that is not indicated on the dipstick.
Unread 06-25-19, 11:16 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Congrats Dennis!
CNC3
Unread 08-16-19, 10:49 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Showed up in my mail today.

https://brantaero.com/2019/08/13/don...ame-be-better/
CNC3
Unread 08-16-19, 03:21 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus