Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-27-22, 04:30 PM

amexbmorgan is on a distinguished road
Centerline Thrust

Hi Everyone -

Here is my situation:

I have a 1969 337D that is being refurbished. Will be ready soon.

I need 15hrs dual for insurance and I need to get a Multi engine add on. I also need to break in the rear engine because of a top OH.

So what would you do?
1. Fly with an instructor to do the break in, essentially getting some hours in type. Then do multi training in the 337. I really don't care about the CLT limitation. I just don't see myself in another twin. But who knows.
2. Get a true multi, then fly with instructor for the 15 hours insurance and break in the engine.
3. Get a true multi, have someone else break in engine, while I'm training.
4. Get a true multi and fly with an instructor in my airplane. Doing both at the same time?

Not sure if I'm over thinking it. But wanted some thoughts.

Thanks
Unread 01-27-22, 06:00 PM

GearUp is on a distinguished road
I think Jerry De Santis gave the best reason to get a true multi here: http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...51&postcount=9
Unread 01-28-22, 12:24 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Options 2 & 4 sound similar.

For clarity, I like option number 2 better. (2. Get a "true" (unrestricted) multi, then fly with instructor for the 15 hours insurance and break in the engine.)

Since you don't sound 100% sure you will ever wind up in an asymmetrical thrust twin, go ahead and get the multiengine rating in an asymmetrical thrust twin now and have that covered. The multiengine rating is about a 5-7 flight hour process, plus or minus. Also, with getting a multiengine rating in an asymmetrical thrust twin it will be easier to find a DPE to give you the check ride, as I understand it can be difficult to find/get to someone that can give it to you in a CLT airplane. That's at least something to investigate.

During your training there will be big power changes and engine shutdowns, let the training airplane's engines endure that abuse, not your engines. This is especially true since you need to break-in one of your engines. If I recall correctly, overhaul shops like an engine being broken in to be run hard for a longer time, ... that's not consistent with a training regimen.

You'll then have 15 hours (of engine break-in time) in YOUR airplane to be learning YOUR airplane, without the distractions of a multiengine curriculum to get in the way. You'll still get to do some multiengine training in your airplane, but it could be more tailored to your, and your engine's, particular needs.

Best wishes,

Rick
Unread 01-28-22, 10:59 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
It all depends on what your goals are. You noted that you are good with the center thrust limitation. I was as well.

So I went from a 172 straight to the 337. Bought mine, trained in mine and got my center thrust multi rating in mine. I would highly recommend this approach in my case, as I know I have no desire to fly a "regular" twin. I loved every moment of it and really got to know my plane.

Some folks have noted insurance issues without having the ME rating, but I didnt have any problems. I had about the same requirements you noted - needed 15 hours of dual, then 10 hours of solo time before carrying passengers. By the time I trained, flew both ways from OK (where I trained) to OH (for the check ride) and to Iowa (home) I met all the requirements and was ready to rock and roll.

Evaluate your situation and do what is best for you.
Unread 01-28-22, 02:28 PM

Dr.Dan is on a distinguished road
As already stated, it's a personal choice depending on what suits you best. I purchased a skymaster, did my multi rating on a seneca II, and then switched over to the 337. It probably costs a bit more to do it that way and it delays training/familiarity with your own plane, but it has the advantage of the option for a conventional twin at a later date, if desired.

DD
Unread 01-28-22, 03:14 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Option 4 would be my preference.

One thing to consider with your insurance company - does having multi-engine experience reduce your overall insurance cost over time? If you get your traditional multi, then all time logged in the Skymaster is multi-engine time. if not, it is CLT, and not sure if the underwriters even categorize that.

This may be your last airplane - but if not, it is good to have multi-engine experience in the log book for the insurance company.

Jeff
Unread 01-29-22, 02:20 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
My recommendation, as A CFI, would be to do the training in a traditional ME and preferably at an operation with a good relationship with a DPE. I wouldn’t want to put my engines and starters through the cycles that are needed during the initial training. DPEs are getting very tough to schedule, but a good school tends to have several that they work with and will have little problems scheduling.

I’m not sure what the DPEs need, but a CFI will need to meet the requirements of 61.195(f). That is the CFI will need 5 hours of flight time in the C337 before dual can be given. You might also check with your underwriter concerning the CFI’s qualifications. I just completed training for a 200 hour pilot that went from the C182 he learned to fly in, to a C210. The policy would not cover the training unless the CFI had 500 hours in a C210.
Unread 02-12-22, 06:37 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
I like Tom's suggestion. I am in the same situation as you are (right down to the model year) and will be doing what he did as soon as it's signed off and ready to go up. For the same reasons he cited. Something to note however is that you will have to find a DPE with at least 5 hours in type. In my case I had to reach out to someone locally and offer to let them fly my plane to get those hours. They're then going to turn around and test me in that same plane. I also think that if Jerry's comments as linked herein are true then you need to think hard about whether you'll ever be flying a conventional twin. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever, but I think you better be real sure about whether that's true for your situation as well. Insurance, as several of my posts have evidenced, is quickly becoming the single greatest obstacle to aircraft ownership... especially twins.
Unread 02-27-22, 10:52 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Centerline Thrust

amexbmorgan.
Like TOM, I purchased a 65 C337, before having a ME rating. I only wanted to fly a CLT airplane, there was no reason to get a traditional ME. I had about a 1000 hrs, single engine Cessna, to include 200 hrs high performance-NO RG time. Was fortunate to find a MEI/ C337 rated right here at my local airport. Trained, and went to WV for my check ride. Passed and now have about 150 hrs in my Skymaster. I LOVE THE C337!!
Regards, BILLS