Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-07-02, 12:30 PM

airtids is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear seat LSTC

Looking at fitting a sixth seat into our 1965 337. It came without the rear seat next to the baggage door (emergency exit?), and has no rails for that position. Does anyone know what the requirement is for an LSTC (Limited Supplemental Type Certificate, or sometimes called a 'one-off'). It seems to me that the aircraft is certified for six seats, you should be able to put six seats in it without any need for approval. Does anyone have any information on this, and suggestions as to sourcing seat rails for that position? Thanks.
Unread 11-07-02, 12:44 PM

Mitch Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
You might look at RT Aero's bench seat arrangement instead of intalling the tracks for the sixth seat. It looks like an interesting setup, with the easy conversion to cargo space.

Mitch
O-2A 67-21309
Unread 11-07-02, 12:46 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
If you have a '65 337, you need no approval or STC. You just need to get the seat and rails and have your mechanic reinstall them. I owned a '65 337, it came with six seats and rails, it was certified that way when it left the factory. (Is it rails for the rear seats, or just cushion on velcro? I can't remember, am getting it confused with my '73, which had no rails for the fifth seat cushion, just velcro attachment of cushions to rear firewall and floor.)

Don't forget that you will need to reinstall the seatbelt attach points, and the belt, as well.

Salvage yard would be your only choice for the seats. Don Neiser (see the Parts Sources section of this message board) may be able to help you. And perhaps someone else on the board may have suggestions. If you are still stuck, ask again, I can look harder through my notes for sources. I used to have a fifth seat for a '73, I called a couple of salvage yards that advertised in trade a plane to determine the value before I sold mine. They both had that type of seat in stock, I bet the seat and rails you are looking for are even more available.

Kevin
Unread 11-07-02, 02:36 PM
Keven

Rails

I've got a 66 337A and the two rear seats are on rails. My guess is that the 65 also uses rails.

Keven
________
Honda 1300 Specifications

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 11-07-02, 03:14 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Call Linair in Vancouver for price on new rails 1 800 663-5829 or check Upper Valley in Chilliwack for used ones. 604 792-0735.

Frank
Unread 11-07-02, 09:53 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I HAVE A 68 C MODEL AND IT ALSO CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH ONLY 5TH SEAT AND TRACK. MINE DOES HAVE HOWEVER THE ATTACHMENTS FOR SEAT BELTS FOR SIX SEATS. IF KEVIN IS CORRECT ABOUT NOT NEEDING ANY CERTIFICATION, YOU MIGHT CHECK E-BAY, I SAW TWO REAR SEATS THAT WERE FOR SALE VERY CHEAP. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE AND TYPE "SKYMASTER". I HAVE TWO SEATS FOR THE BACK OF MINE THAT CAME OUT OF A C 206. THEY WORK JUST FINE, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOT EVER INSURED FOR THE SIXTH SEAT. I BOUNCE BACK AND FORTH WITH FOUR AND FIVE.
Unread 11-09-02, 12:11 PM

airtids is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the help. Ours is serial#2, and the port side rear seat is on rails, so I can only assume that the starbord one should be as well!! I was looking at the ones on ebay, but got out-bid by flyboy15. Now which one of you guys, in another cyber-persona is flyboy15? Let's rumble!
Unread 11-11-02, 01:44 AM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
I have seat rails for the 5th and 6th seats for sale and the seat belt attachment clips or latches. Please contact me anytime.
Don Nieser
Commodore Aerospace Corp
6221 Commodore lane
Oklahoma City OK 73162
405-722-4079 phone and FAX
405-503-4686 hangar cell phone
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
Unread 11-20-02, 08:27 PM

I have never seen a 65 without seat tracks for both 5th and 6th seats. But we did work on one aircraft (I'm not sure which year, but it was pre 1973) which did not have the pilots emergency exit window (LH side window).

If the aircraft does not have the emergency exit window, then it is only legal for 5 seats. Same reason why all pressurized models are legal for only 5 seats. (exits have to be on opposite sides of each other so baggage door doesn't count.)

Check your aircraft to see if you have the emergency exit, If you do, then installing the seat rails and seats can easily be done on a 337 form using the parts manual as reference.

If you don't have the emergency exit, it can also be added without too much trouble.

Ray Torres
Unread 11-26-02, 05:44 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Don Neisser also has seat rail stock (your mechanic has to drill the holes, but that's no big deal. It's something we all can potentially come accross due to the seat rail AD and average wear. My '67 needed to have the front rails replaced last annual.