Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-24-20, 06:51 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Texas Skymaster Fly-in - Who Would Come?

Granbury, Texas - Where History Lives! Well, at least that's our slogan.

Granbury (KGDJ) has $3.50 100LL and five crew cars that can be used overnight. Very aviation-supportive local government. There is a large meeting room there we could use for doing a seminar, or as our HQ for the weekend.

The downtown square will take you back in time. The ladies will love the shopping, but the gents can visit the hotel/saloon where John Wilkes Booth supposedly lived to a ripe old age as John St. Francis. (The new show "History's Mysteries" with Lawrence Fishburn on History Channel has an episode on it).

You can drive out to the old cemetery and see where Jesse James is buried! Again, he supposedly faked his death and came to Granbury. There have been several TV shows about this too.

There's a Ghost Tour that takes you to the old gallows at the original 1850's jailhouse.

Revolver Brewery makes some of the best beer in the USA right in Granbury, and they have a party every Saturday afternoon at the brewery. There are also several local wineries that offer tastings and tours.

We'd have to have a BBQ night, with smoked brisket and pulled pork, plus a few cold ones.

There are four private airports in Granbury beyond the city airport. Anyone who would like to camp out with their plane will be accommodated at a 2800' grass strip with plenty of camping space.

There will be four Skymasters (including mine) in Rockport, TX next month on Dec. 5th for their fly-in event. I'd love to see many more than that here in Granbury!

Anybody have any suggestions for a date? Don't want it to be in the summer - too hot. Fall or Spring are best I would think.

Just brainstorming really at this point.

Last edited by mshac : 11-26-20 at 09:32 AM.
Unread 11-25-20, 09:45 AM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
We will happily come to any Texas fly in. Wish I had known about Rockport sooner. We are supposed to have company, but if that doesn’t happen we will go on the 5th.
Unread 11-25-20, 10:51 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
I'm just 3 hours away.

I'll strongly consider it, but I expect next year will be busy enough for me that I won't guarantee it.
Unread 11-25-20, 06:14 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
If the timing is right, we’ll come to Granbury! These Marriot points won’t spend themselves, right?

Tornado season peaks in May, heat thereafter. Perhaps early April?
Unread 11-30-20, 11:08 AM

OK, our guests aren't coming, so we are planning to fly to Rockport Saturday morning for the fly in also. It should be nice to see and meet other "local" Skymaster owners. See ya'll there.

Tripp
Unread 11-30-20, 11:14 AM

Rockport Fly-In Dec. 5th

Tripp, what are your plans for transportation? You can camp on the airport if you want, but we were thinking about getting a room nearby. Lots of good inexpensive hotel options. I'm not sure if Uber/Lyft operates in Rockport. I rented from Enterprise once down there, but that was at the Corpus airport.
Unread 11-30-20, 01:11 PM

My dad and I are coming and possibly another family member. My dad isn't up for camping or really staying over. We plan to fly in Saturday morning and stay as long as possible and then fly out that afternoon. We just want to meet and see the other Skymaster owners mostly.

I imagine we will arrive between 9:30-10:00

Tripp
Unread 11-30-20, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
My dad and I are coming and possibly another family member. My dad isn't up for camping or really staying over. We plan to fly in Saturday morning and stay as long as possible and then fly out that afternoon. We just want to meet and see the other Skymaster owners mostly.

I imagine we will arrive between 9:30-10:00

Tripp
Look forward to meeting you there!
Unread 12-03-20, 02:42 PM

How about you talk to the folks at Granbury and see if there's a good weekend around the latter part of March/early April?
Unread 12-04-20, 03:37 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Flying Adventures has a Bahamas trip end of March if anyone is interested in joining us. We are going to Exuma as it was canceled this year 2020 and the resort is honoring all our down payments that were made. Hoping that it works for 2021.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/flyingadventuresgroup

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: