Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-22-07, 12:06 AM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
Request advice on servicing engines

Hello all,

I am in the process of crunching numbers with the hope of purchasing a 337 within 12 months and ferrying it back to Australia.

My background is primarily military aviation; Black Hawks, Chinooks, Squirrels (A-Stars) and now EMS/Border Security in Bell 412s and 206s. My fixed wing time is limited - about 300hrs, with the rest of my 3000 hrs in turbine helos.

So here are some questions to get my piston-engined fixed wing knowledge rolling:

Is there a recommended time for engine overhaul of the Continentals or is it based on an as required basis. I have seen some posts talking about O/H at 1300hrs up to 2300 hrs. (I searched the Teledyne website but found no hard numbers).

Also, what sort of dollars have you parted with for a standard O/H without major work being required. (I know, it's a nebulous question... but good stories and bad stories are welcome for comparison).

Same questions for the blades.

I know that two-bladed props are supposedly more aerodynamically efficient, (at least in helicopters that's the case) but do three-bladed props give you any more advantages?

Excuse my ignorance but I have been fortunate in my aviation career in that the government has picked up the tab for maintenance. Soon it will be my turn to pay the bills.

(Don't worry about the US-AUS differences. Ball park figures are good for educational purposes).

I will be doing more research, purchasing as much reading material and getting more F/W experience over the next 12 months... and then hopefully the sky's the limit.

Safe flying everyone.
Conway
www.ipas.com.au
Unread 01-22-07, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Based on my response to your earlier post, I assume you've done a "Search" on this subject and already have some data. Today, the recommended 1500 hours between overhauls is seldom followed by general-aviation owners (I believe that commercial operators like airlines and flight schools must abide by it, however). Engines that are well taken care of (flown often, frequent oil changes, not overstressed) typically last beyond TBO, often well beyond TBO. So an engine which is showing strong compression, has normal oil consumption and whose oil chemical analysis (done at least every other oil change) is still sound, is typically allowed to continue to operate.

On costs, I had one engine overhauled by a local builder about 5 years ago for $6,000 ($7,500 because it needed a VAR crankshaft). This was just for the bare engine (not accessories) but even then, this was the lowest I have ever heard. The numbers I hear now for a complete engine (with accessories, but not including a new crank) are around $15,000. Others with better figures may wish to add their views, since mine are not based on first-hand info.

Unlike helicopters, 3-blade props -- especially composites -- can lead to both performance and noise advantages. But they are a modification that requires an STC and can be costly if your props are fine (if they are not and you can't find a used blade, then it may be a cost-effective change).

Ernie
Unread 01-22-07, 04:45 PM

Thanks

Thanks Ernie,

I have been pouring over this website and others and will continue to do so.

Wish me luck,

Cheers
Conway
Unread 01-22-07, 06:46 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
remanufactured engines are $30,000 +.

As you undoubtedly read on http://www.superskyrocket.com the military version of the Skymaster was ferried across the Pacific to VietNam. I think they left with full military radios, which were relatively heavy compared to modern avionics.

The 3 bladed prop, Herb Harney has, improves acceleration and climb, significantly. I would suspect that you would want a Skymaster without De-Ice, because that does tend to slow down the airplane.
Unread 01-22-07, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
What about overhauled engines, Larry? Is $15,000 too low? I guess Conway could e-mail several of the engine overhaulers advertising in Trade-a-Plane and request a quote.

Ernie
Unread 01-22-07, 09:13 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
A zero time rebuild from Continental with most accessories cost me $27,000 a year and a half ago. Unfortunately I had 3 cylinders with exhaust valve strikes to the pistons. Continental rebuilt all 6 cylinders, replaced rods and pistons. They stood behind it, but there was never a good feeling that they would. It was a royal pain, but we now have about another 100 hours on the engine since the repairs and all seems OK. It was just really inconvienient.

We just got another check today. I think they have now reimbursed our costs for all the maintenance we had done troubleshooting the problem. (several fuel adjustment attempts).
Unread 01-22-07, 09:20 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
And the cost for the engine does not include the labor to remove and replace it, and the hoses, and mounts, which they undoubtedly will want to replace. You may get by with hoses, but if you are changing the engine, mounts are a good thing to change. Don Nieser has the best prices on those,, BTW. Overhaul for $15K seems low, Ernie. I suppose you could do it, but a lot depends on the case, light or heavy, and the crank (VAR or not).
Unread 01-22-07, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the info

Thanks for your replies.

I will most likely be getting all the work done in Australia, but should it be necessary to get a new engine in the US prior to departure - something I would prefer not to do if I am to fly over water - then this is a good benchmark for price comparison.

Safe flying all,
Conway
www.ipas.com.au