Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-21-02, 01:15 AM

Jose L. Ichaso is an unknown quantity at this point
Time for Overhaul...

I would like your help for the overhaul of the engines of my 1969 337D normal aspirated. I usually fly 110 to 135 hours per year, I actually fly mostly every week, and my plane is base in a sea front airport, and most of my flying is close to the sea in the tropic. My engines had done very well, but the local FAA wants everyone to do overhaul at the factory TBO no matter your operation.

1.-Im buying new cylinders and have heard horror stories about Continental cylenders. Actually a friend of mine a month a go bought new ones from other manufacturer since his original Continental cylinders were well below compresion and parameters ( lot of belly oil )after two and a half years of operation and 280 hours in his 206. No Continental warranty, they told they could cover for 40 hours a month of operation.
In other comments I have heard they have improve a lot, and they warranties has improve a too, to 3 years of operation no matter your montly flying time. Also heard Continental cylinders are rust prone if you fly seldon and close to the sea, so better look for nickel or chrome barrel cylenders. What is "Satin Chrome"OHC cylider assemblies?, since that is what was done last engine overhaul in Jan 96.
Is there any other supplier you recommend?

2- Any other consideration, other than VAR crankshaft ( already done in last overhaul ), than the recommended parts for overhaul supply by Continental,or any other AD.

3-Does it make lot of difference to overhaul the fuel system with Continental, or the local shop. ( Local shop has a good reputation )

4-Would you change engine mounts?, since they are new from 1998.
Is there any STC for a spin on filter, not the firewall installed one.

5-Could anyone recall me the website for purchase the hose kit for the airplane and engines. Do they use to fit well?, I live in Venezuela and returns are quite a problem.

6-I have the paper type air filter, and would like the p/n to change or add the foam like cover.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Jose L.