Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-18-22, 03:24 PM

DrZGard is on a distinguished road
What to inspect on aircraft involved in off airport landing

Aircraft landed gear up in a swamp and struck wingtip. Front engine and propeller replaced, nose and wing repaired. Waiting to hear from seller regarding damage since it was not disclosed in the advertisement. What would you want to make sure was inspected? Appears to have flown 10 hours since repairs.
Unread 09-19-22, 11:22 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZGard View Post
Aircraft landed gear up in a swamp and struck wingtip. Front engine and propeller replaced, nose and wing repaired. Waiting to hear from seller regarding damage since it was not disclosed in the advertisement. What would you want to make sure was inspected? Appears to have flown 10 hours since repairs.
I'm thinking you'd want a good corrosion inspection and perhaps a wing Spar inspection. You'd also want to inspect the repairs to make sure they were done correctly and you'd want to look at the log entries to see if they match up with the work that appears to have been done. Don't be afraid to call the shop that did the work if you have any questions. Consider hiring another aircraft sheet metal shop to just look over the repairs that were done to see if they think everything is solid. Try to find one that has no relation to the shop that did the work if you can. Finally, that aircraft should be priced at least 10% below Market due to that damage history because it's so fresh. As time moves forward and more hours are put on the plane that 10% number will get smaller and smaller.

Furthermore there should be an NTSB report regarding the incident. With knowing no more than you've said it sounds like fuel exhaustion. When I'm searching for an aircraft to purchase, I will always run the N number through the NTSB database search engine which is available online.

Last edited by mshac : 09-19-22 at 11:57 AM.
Unread 09-25-22, 06:20 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZGard View Post
Is this the Super Skyrocket that cam up for sale? Make sure you understand what you are looking at. The SSR has some limited capabilities. Those are interesting conversions but I’m not sure they really were practical. It climbs faster to altitude and goes a little faster but drinks a lot of fuel and won’t carry much for longer flights. Full fuel, one person in most cases.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-26-22, 07:16 PM

DrZGard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Is this the Super Skyrocket that cam up for sale? Make sure you understand what you are looking at. The SSR has some limited capabilities. Those are interesting conversions but I’m not sure they really were practical. It climbs faster to altitude and goes a little faster but drinks a lot of fuel and won’t carry much for longer flights. Full fuel, one person in most cases.
Yes it is the one with rather optimistic price given the damage history. I've had the hots for one of these ever since Jack Riley tried to talk me into buying one in the mid 1990's... he was on hell of a salesman.