Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-31-02, 01:49 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Oshkosh Trip Report

Hi folks,

I'm back from Oshkosh.

For anyone who is interested, we left Portland at 5AM PDT on Wednesday, stopped in Twin Falls, ID - Camp Guernsey, WY - Ankeney, IA and landed at OSH at 7:45 CDT. Keven K. had saved spots for Bob Cook and I (thanks Keven!) in the North 40 camping area, so we were together. Keven left Thursday night, leaving his spot open for Larry on Friday.

Anyway, I left OSH around noon on Sunday, had to wait for the field to get to VFR, because there were no IFR slots to be had. Started to go to the show again with Larry Bowdish (who came back on Sunday), but the weather started to improve rapidly, so I broke camp, packed the plane, and departed OSH in nice VFR about 11:30.

My original plan to was to head toward Duluth, MN, as there were nasty storms to the south and west of OSH. As I continued northwest, I decided to change my destination to Grand Rapids, MN, to make a little more distance before stopping. (Still not much distance, but I felt the need to look at a big radar picture before picking a route west.) Grand Rapids was reporting 100 overcast though, so I changed my destination again (at the controllers suggestion) to Big Fork, MN. Then I read up on that airport - may not be fuel there. So I changed *again* to Hibbing, MN. About 30 minutes out of Hibbing, my charging system problem returned. (It had not reared its ugly head all the way from Portland to Ankenky, IA on the way out, and then had been benign from Ankeny to Osh in that one alternator was not putting out juice, but the other was taking the load). Anyway, on the way into Hibbing, both alternators went to zero output, and I started running off the battery. Turning off one alternator, both, one then the other, and turning off the master and everything would not get it going for about five minutes. Then the rear started working again (with the front alt shut off), so I left it alone the rest of the way to Hibbing. More on this problem in another message.

I spent the afternoon waiting for and then working with a mechanic in Hibbing. More in another message, but bottom line, we fixed nothing, and it started to work again just as we were about to give up. It worked the rest of the way back to Portland.

By the time we were done messing with the airplane, it was 5:30 in the evening, and a line of storms was approaching Hibbing. I decided to spend the night.

The next morning I departed Hibbing intending to stop in Glendive, MT, but had to stop short in Dickinson, SD due to headwinds which dragged my groundspeed down to 130 kts. I then planned to stop in Lewiston, ID and then on to Hillsboro. That plan would have worked at 130 kts, but failed when my groundspeed out of Dickinson dropped to 115 kts. That was a 75 kt headwind COMPONENT at 16,000'. If I went down to 12,000, the wind dropped about the same amount as the aircraft performance decrease due to lower altitude, leaving me with the same glacial groundspeed.

So I stopped in Helena, MT, went to Beck's U-Pump, the increasingly famous entirely self-serve FBO. If you have never been there, check it out. There are courtesy cars you can sign out, first come first serve on a bedroom with four bunk beds, food in the refrigerator, weather service, everything you need, but no staff. You pump your own gas self-serve fashion (which is not the unusual part, it's the rest of the services being provided on the honor system that is unique, at least as far as I know).

From Helena, I hoped to fly to Portland, but even that didn't work due to winds, so the last stop was Pasco, WA, then home.

I departed Hibbing at 7:30 AM CDT, and landed in Hillsboro, OR at 7:30 PM PDT on Monday.

It was really great to camp with Bob, Keven, Larry, and Herb, and it was good to meet all of you that came to the hangar flying session in Pavillion 2 on Friday night. We heard presentations on composite and aluminum 3 blade props, as well as an announcement of diesel replacement engines for Skymasters from Mary Ann of Skyrocket LLC (aka Riley).

See you all again soon I hope...

Kevin
Unread 08-01-02, 07:26 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Turbine

One of the interesting things was a small turbine, with the gear box on the input side, which would allow the exhaust to be by the bulkhead, as opposed to up next to the prop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo1.jpg (48.1 KB, 1132 views)
Unread 08-01-02, 07:29 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Turbine

Another picture. This thing weighs about 130 pounds and puts out 350 HP. The Riley (SMA) diesel is only for the normally aspirated versions, since the engine has a ceiling of 10K feet. MaryAnn says that they will incorporated some other mods in the STC, including air conditioning, for normally aspirated models. Of course, they won't be normally aspirated, since the SMA diesel is supercharged and turbocharged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo3.jpg (36.9 KB, 1105 views)
Unread 08-01-02, 11:20 AM
Keven

10,000 Service Ceiling

Was that a typo? 10,000 service ceiling? Will the mods affect (increase) it at all?

Keven
________
THYROID DISORDERS FORUMS

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:49 PM.
Unread 08-01-02, 01:00 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Keven / diesels

Keven

For lower altitudes diesels can work, however, there are drawbacks to every technology. IE increased weight of fuel, engines, etc.

Gas engines for hp/weigh ratio are still good choices. If you are looking ahead to above 10k ft then turbines, turboprops are the answer if technology like Williamson can get the cost down. Machine and rare metals keep the price up.

If fadec modernized the current "flat engine technology" with improved fuel consumption, less engine management, etc. There is no reason you could not increase TBO and improve emissions along with greater reliability.

This is probably the closest technology we have today without forking out the cost of a house or two.

I spent time with the engineers at TCM discussing FADEC after you left and I feel they are close to having a reliable product. What is killing progress are ______ and until there are some limits imposed the manufacturers do not want to venture into "gray areas" that leave them open to increased liability.

In the meantime we have no choice but to work with what we have. I offered TCM to do an STC on the TSIO360 (my aircraft) and they said they were close to doing it. They have been driving a turbo 360 for almost a 1k hours with great success.

The Germans had perfected aircraft diesel engines but abandoned the technology in the late 49's for multiple reasons.

fyi

bob