Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-10-12, 11:09 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Ice Detector light

Hello ALL.
I'm looking for an Ice Detector light, PN:1400078-1 (Possible alternative: 30-0073-3), I have to assume that this is an assembly? The parts manual doesn't show a separate bulb? AND NO I DO NOT HAVE ONE INSTALL ON MY '65 C337.
Thanks, BILLS
Unread 06-10-12, 02:09 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Bill

Are you installing a deice light? Do you need the entire unit or just the bulb?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-11-12, 10:15 AM

Ice detector light

Herb,
Yes I plan on installing one. The parts manual doesn't list a separate bulb, do you know it? I just got a quote from Preferred Airparts they want about $1400. I mostly, since I've never seen one before, wanted to know if the light fixture is just a "standard" "BULB-HOLDER" with a high output bulb??
Thanks as usual.
BILLS
Unread 06-11-12, 07:10 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
No

No, it's not just a bulb and holder. It's recessed into the fuselage, and has a focusing lens, that makes the light brighter, and extends out the wing.
It's actually a very complex assembly, and I'm not surprised at it''s cost. My question would be why do you want to install one?
If your plane came with de-ice, it came with a light, I'm pretty sure.
Unread 06-12-12, 12:15 PM

Ice Detector Light

Thanks for the reply.
I just figured having the light would be for safety. I'm NOT instrument rated but I sometimes flight at night, and NOT in IMC, but you never know?? It may not be necessary, but having the second engine on a Skymaster is for safety-RIGHT??
BILLS
Unread 06-12-12, 02:48 PM
Web Master

From our west coast contributor

Well... its a nice addition but not as good as you think... what we have seen 'em do is use LED's... the super white bright along with a few yellow ones... which then shine on the wing leading edge... where they have a flat black painted swatch to see if it turns white... makes it light up pretty good... low current and you can put one on each side if you use the same plate which has the gear mirror extending forward from the wing... but for ice detection... some have just installed a LED right into the wing leading edge... red on one side.. green on the other... (although we have seen 'em use bright white and/or blue leds also) and when it gets cold enough to ice.. the LED either goes out... or gets iced over... and can't be seen anymore... neat little addition... and they use the little 1/8 inch ones... so its not like your going to be drilling a big hole... most are mounted inside a rubber grommets or a LED holder that snaps into the little hole you made...

Of course a 337 form properly filled out and certified is necessary for the above.

another thing they have done is replaced the lights under the wings or door.. with LED's also... seems that they don't use much power and can provided a lot of light... If your plane doesn't have any lights under the wings... you can put the LED's into one of the inspection covers... and use it that way... works pretty good... and not much current drain... using 24 volts... and a dropping resistor... or with enough LED's ... direct.. Just remember to turn 'em off when flying.. or you will be tagged as a UFO... and could be shot down.. grin

These are available as an STC'd item.
Unread 06-12-12, 06:49 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
A flashlight works really well and won't require all the horsing around that others have suggested. If the aircraft did not come from the factory with the ice light it's going to take a field approval. It can be done but can be frustrating and there is no guarentee that the local FISDO will approve it. .

I have two types of flashlights in the cabin. Incandescent for straight pin point beam and a LED for a bright flood. I actually like the flashlight method a lot better because I can look at the wing, the strut, the landing gear or any other part within a reasonable distance. Several flashlights in the cabin are not a bad idea anyway.

Keep it simple, stay safe.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-13-12, 09:09 AM
Web Master

We Sell One $47.00

We sell the Coast HP7 Led light. It's 251 Lumens, at high power, one finger focusing adjustment. At high power, it will reach out 600 ft+. At low power it reaches out 200 ft+. It's water resistant, and has a strobe function.
It costs $47.00.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coast.pdf (254.1 KB, 1173 views)
Unread 06-14-12, 07:19 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnadriver View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I just figured having the light would be for safety. I'm NOT instrument rated but I sometimes flight at night, and NOT in IMC, but you never know?? It may not be necessary, but having the second engine on a Skymaster is for safety-RIGHT??
BILLS
For less $$$, I'd just buy a good 3G night vision monocular...wonderful to fly at night with night vision...

Last edited by Learjetter : 06-14-12 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Speling