Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-23-20, 07:12 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
The cessna swivel is not readily replaced by a standard hydraulic swivel. On my attempt found most hydraulic swivels have motion in only one axis: axially, right angle etc. The OEM swivel can spin axially and flex in all manner of directions. So a non OEM swivel likely will put more stress on the hose. Also, non OEM swivel uses JIC threads and not AN threading. AN threading is what is on pass-through in landing gear. Similar but not exact. Could use some adapter/NPT threads, etc; gets clunky fast in a tight space with things rotating around.

I am going with rebuild of OEM.

Took the roll pins out but the swivel didn't just fall apart. There is a circular clip on mine holding a backup up plate behind the nipple. No easy way to access for removal. Also anticipate difficult to press back in place without constructing a tool. I see a witness hole about 1/16th inch in size that might give opportunity to get the circular clip out. However as I put increasing stress on things became worried about damaging a component I likely will have to reuse. If not source-able, would then be locked into purchasing a new swivel if desiring to stay OEM.

So, I've sent out for overhaul. RobAir in Washington State will rebuild and test for $500. Discovered fair amount of corrosion at internal o-ring mating areas which was resolved. With that, simply replacing o-rings myself if I had successfully taken it apart probably would not have worked and leaked still.

Just an update.
Unread 10-23-20, 09:29 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the follow-up.

$500 for OH doesn't sound too terrible.

IF anyone has successfully repaired one of these on their own, please let us know.

Pictures would be golden.
Unread 10-30-20, 09:29 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got an email from McFarlane Aviation and they are close to releasing a direct replacement for the swivels.